Digital Velvet Vernier. Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by Rory Starkweather, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Rory Starkweather

Thread Starter Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I bought a pair of DIY HAM band receivers several years ago, from Ramsey. Nice kits, but tuning was/is iffy. They both use potentiometers to control tuning and my hands shake so much that I can't lock on to a target frequency, especially since they only have about 300 degrees of a circle to cover the whole tuning range. Kind of frustrating so I'm tryiing to think of a 'workaround'.

I love Velvet Verniers, but they haven't been made for years, and I can't afford $50 per tuning knob on kits that originally cost less than $25.

One thing that came to mind was some kind of digital tumer. (Up button, down button and an LCD readout, of . . . something.) Now I know there are are a lot of things like this in use, but I don't even know what to Google.

I'm thinking of replacing the tuners with some more expensive versions, but, before I go there, I'm wondering if there is a cheaper solution already out there.

The bottom line is that I would like to replace a pair of variable resistors with something with more accuracy, and selectivity.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. DNA Robotics

Jun 13, 2014
    Maybe a more mechanical method with pulleys and a belt. Salvage parts from an old cassette player? If you put a large knob on the motor shaft, you would have a lot of control.

pulley system.jpg

3. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    I am radio illiterate.

But, why not two tuners: course and fine?

4. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
  5. Rory Starkweather

Thread Starter Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I'm not saying "No" but the whole thing is like 6" by 5". (The whole receiver.) I've thought about breaking it out, but I haven't gone there yet.

Your idea is a very good one, but I would have to buy something like the ten turn pot, mentioned below, and then there's the problem with limit switches. I don't want the motor trying to tear off either end of the potentiometer.

Almost forgot. I suk at salvaging. :) I can't salvage a pebble from a rock.

6. Rory Starkweather

Thread Starter Member

Jan 27, 2015
    You have been a constant source of really good suggestions. HOWEVER, this time, I don't have any idea how to build either one, let alone, both. I believe in success through successive approximations.

As usual, your idea is a great one, but I'm not advanced enough for that yet.

7. Rory Starkweather

Thread Starter Member

Jan 27, 2015
    You know. That's a really good suggestion. I think I'm having the 'forest for the trees' problem. A ten turn pot would be cheaper than any of the alternatives, and it would be a step forward. Something I could build on if necessary. TYVM.

8. Rory Starkweather

Thread Starter Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I messed up on this one. Wrong forum. If there is a person available to move this, it should be in projects.

9. DNA Robotics

Jun 13, 2014
    I guess I confused things by using a motor as an axle mount.

When I said If you put a large knob on the motor shaft, you would have a lot of control, I meant to turn it manually with a 50:1 or so gear reduction.
    If you turn the knob a lot, it turns your tuner a little bit.