Digital timer switch - Geyser

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sincla1, Sep 26, 2008.

1. sincla1

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I want to connedct a timer switch to my geyser in the db board. Which wire goes where? The to top of the switch has two connection points nymbered 1(L) and 2(N) There is a line from 1 to 2 with a circle and a s lying on its side. the bottom of the switch has points 3 4 and5. between 3 and 4 is a line with a switch symble and five has a line that end in a small 0. 4and 5 = NO 3 and 4 NC . There are 2 wires from the geyser one red one black. please help

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Do you have any identification on the timer? The manufacturer and the part number is important.

3. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    I am not sure but i think point 1 (L) is connected to the mains live wire and point 2 (N) to the mains neutral wire. At the bottom of the timer, point 4 is common so you can connect it to a supply voltage (appropriate for your load) and use point 3 or 5 if you want NC or NO respectively operation. I am not sure of my answer as i guess it from your description. To make it sure please post the part number of the timer.

4. sincla1

Sep 26, 2008
    M E S EWIt207R
    AC 220-240V
    16A(8)A250AC

How does a NC operation differ from a NO operation?

Thank you

5. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    NC probably stands for Normally Closed and NO stands for Normally Open.

hgmjr

6. sincla1

Sep 26, 2008
    define normally closed...

7. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Normally closed means that your load takes power until the timer hits the proper time. Normally open means that your load does not take power until the timer hits the proper time.

8. janbez

Nov 7, 2008
    To connect the timer...a) 1=Live and 2=Neutral from the DB box. b)Jump position 1 and 4 with a short piece of wire. c)Position 5 is for your geyser / pool or whatever. d)Position 3 will only work when position 5 is inactive...maybe a light or whatever..you do not need to use it. e) You also need a neutral from your DB (or somewhere else ) to your geyser\/ pool. NB the timer does not control the neutral so there are NO neutral coming from the timer (you may jump the neutral from position 2 to your geyser / pool.

9. Sindy

Aug 11, 2014
    I also have a timer that I have connected, but when testing it - manual on, there is no power. It doesn't switch on.