Digital Scoreboard Project NEWBIE!!!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Maxxxin, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Maxxxin

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 23, 2013
    :confused: Hi all, I am a total newbie to electronics and to this forum but have read quite a few posts and people here seem to know what they are talking about so here is my problem. I have acquired the electrical components to make my own remote controlled scoreboard, but the microchip used will only allow the LED displays to count upwards and not down. I spoke to the seller and he informed me that it uses the 4026 chip and that is what it is programmed to do. What I would like to know is if the chip can be reprogrammed and if so how easy is that to do and if it cannot be done, is there an alternative chip I could use. Many thanks in advance.

John

2. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    The 4026 is not "programmed" to do anything. BUT, it is "hardwired" to count up. The answer is no.

3. Maxxxin

Apr 23, 2013
    I see, so is there an alternative so that when I press down on the remote, it would count down?

4. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    Welcome to AAC.

When you say:
    I assume you mean you bought a kit?

As joeyd999 mentioned, the 4026 is not a microchip but rather a discrete logic chip hardwired to do a specific task. Take a look at the datasheet here.

If you plan to stick with the kit, about the only thing you could do is reset the display to zero then count up everytime. It will not count down.

If want to 'roll your own' circuit, we can certainly help. Take a look at the CD40110. This IC has separate pins for counting up and down.

I've put together a couple of circuits using the 40110 you may be interested in. One is here. It includes remote interface, auto-repeat (hold up or down button for more than a second or two and display will continue to count up or down for as long as button is pressed), and flashing.

I'm currently helping another member make a simplier counter along with a large custom display here.

Now, if you want to go all out and make a huge outdoor display, check out this post.

5. Maxxxin

Apr 23, 2013
    Hi Elec Mech,

Thank you for your advice and help, you are correct, it is a kit I have bought. http://www.digitalcornhole.com/ Unfortunately I am completely new to electronics and feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew lol, but I am not one to give up so easily and where theres a will theres a way. The remote control that comes with the kit has 4 buttons and I want the ability to change the counter down as well as up. would I be better off starting from scratch. I see the datasheet and it looks so complicated, possibly due to the fact I do not understand it. I have just had a look at the 40110 and it seems to be of the same size as the 4026, could I not just replace the current ones with the 40110? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

6. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    We'd have to see the remote receiver. One button increments the score for team A, the other for team B, correct? What do the other two buttons do? Reset each team to zero?

Do you have any schematics that came with the circuit? If yes, please post them.

If not, take a few good, clear pictures of the front and back of each board you have. Looks like there is a receiver board and a display board.

Yes they have the same number of pins, but no, you cannot simply pop a CD40110 in place of the CD4026 on the board. The pin functions aren't a match. That said, it might be possible to either rework your board or solder the 40110 to a proto board and wire it to the socket used for the 4026.

Hacking the receiver board so you can get up and down functionality shouldn't be too difficult, but it will depend a few things. Seeing a schematic or pictures will help determine this.

You could start from scratch, but I imagine it will be a lot less work and money to 'hack' what you have than to replace what you have. Of course, this will void any warranty on the product, but if you aren't worried about that . . . :rolleyes:

7. Maxxxin

Apr 23, 2013
  8. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    Okay, I've created a simple schematic in black showing how the circuit is currently wired. The schematic in red shows how to connect the 40110 to the circuit. Note the 4033's would have to be removed and the 40110's would have to go onto another board then wired to the pads used for the 4033.

The receiver appears to have four relays. Two are used for incrementing each score. I presume the remaining two are controlled by the two remaining buttons on the remote. If so, you just need to connect the output of each remaining relay such that GND goes to pin 9 on the 40106 when the button is pressed and nothing is connected to the 40106 when the button is not pressed.

9. Maxxxin

Apr 23, 2013
    Thank you so much Elec_Mech, I will give that a go and let you know how I get on. Still got to find a supplier to purchase the 40110's from. I found one site and the PIC is a Texas Instruments CD40110BE. Will that do??

10. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    Just note a PIC is a brand of microcontrollers which are ICs you can program. The 40110 is a discrete logic chip, for lack of better description, that is hardwired to perform a specific task. The 40110 is not a PIC.

Yes.

I'm not sure where you're located, but here are a few places you can buy from:

U.S.

Digikey

Mouser

U.K.

Farnell

Asia

Futurelec