Digital potentiometer control with rotary encoder. Help needed

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by evo.motorsport, Sep 4, 2007.

1. evo.motorsport

Thread Starter Member

Jun 20, 2007
    I'm trying to emulate mechanical potentiometer with a rotary knob (mechanical rotary encoder) operation for my home theatre control project (control panel on the wall with several knobs and 7 segments LED display to display volume, bass etc…).

The datasheet suggests using LS7081 or LS7184 “quadrature decoder”. I have checked mouser and “jameco” for this IC but they don’t have it. Is there any other IC chip I can use instead of LS7184?

Or may be there another solution but not using PIC?

Thanks.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. evo.motorsport

Thread Starter Member

Jun 20, 2007
    This is cool. However, my goal is to control digital potentiometer with mechanical rotary encoder and without microcontroller.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    That is hard to interpret. A digital pot is not a mechanical device. Some may be had that use a three wire interface so you can use UP/Down control. The encoder won't have a function.

5. evo.motorsport

Thread Starter Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Have you look on the datasheet and image on my post? It's a live and working schematics. The problem that I can't find a distributor for the encoder. I only need 5 of them. Jameco and Mouser don't have them. Other sites sells 100s minimum.

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I was just focused on the quadrature detector. The one in the article I gave you the URL to will do the same thing - count the Dig pot up and down.