Digital potentiometer control with rotary encoder. Help needed

evo.motorsport

Joined Jun 20, 2007
I'm trying to emulate mechanical potentiometer with a rotary knob (mechanical rotary encoder) operation for my home theatre control project (control panel on the wall with several knobs and 7 segments LED display to display volume, bass etc…).

The datasheet suggests using LS7081 or LS7184 “quadrature decoder”. I have checked mouser and “jameco” for this IC but they don’t have it. Is there any other IC chip I can use instead of LS7184?

Or may be there another solution but not using PIC?

Thanks.

Attachments

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That is hard to interpret. A digital pot is not a mechanical device. Some may be had that use a three wire interface so you can use UP/Down control. The encoder won't have a function.

evo.motorsport

Joined Jun 20, 2007
That is hard to interpret. A digital pot is not a mechanical device. Some may be had that use a three wire interface so you can use UP/Down control. The encoder won't have a function.
Have you look on the datasheet and image on my post? It's a live and working schematics. The problem that I can't find a distributor for the encoder. I only need 5 of them. Jameco and Mouser don't have them. Other sites sells 100s minimum.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I was just focused on the quadrature detector. The one in the article I gave you the URL to will do the same thing - count the Dig pot up and down.