Digital Pot max amp question

Tobias

Joined May 19, 2008
Attached is the spec sheet for the digital pot and my schematic.

I am taking the output of three mechanical pots and based on certain conditions I am either adding or subtracting voltage from the mechanical pots to get a voltage output that represents a different position of the mechanical pots.

My problem is I am smoking the digital pot. The max voltage on one leg of the digital pot is 3v. It fails when I input the max 3v into the digital pot. So I thought to myself, what the hell I will read the spec sheet for the pot, maybe I am exceeding the max amperage tolerance of the digital pot. Here is a line from the spec sheet
AX–BX, AX–WX, BX–WX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ±20 mA

So if I have 3v, I need a 150 ohm current limiting resistor on the leg getting the 3v. So I lift up the pin and place a SMT resistor in between the SMT pad and the pin. It failed again.

So am I reading the spec sheet correct? Maybe I am just so close to the max amperage I need to go with a higher value current limiting resistor.

On the schematic the digital pot is on the bottom left corner

Thanks
Toby

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
That means that the output of the opamp can drive one end of the digital pot to a voltage greater than the digital pot's 5V power supply. Am I correct?

hgmjr

Tobias

Joined May 19, 2008
Take a look at pin 12 of the op-amp. It has 4.33 volts on it constantly. Pin 13 has the output of one of the mechanical pots with a voltage range of 4.33-1.33 volts. I am using the op-amp to output on pin 14 the difference between the two pins so pin 14 is 0 to 3v. This 0 to 3v is then sent to A1 of the digital pot.

I used 12v to power the op-amp so my 3v wasn't even close to the rail value.
Hope this helps

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Perhaps the output of the opamp is spiking to a voltage greater than 5V for a very brief period. If it did, that would be enough to latch up the digital pot and destroy it.

Do you have a 5V tranzsorb that you could put on the output of the opamp so that it would clamp it to 5V?

hgmjr

Tobias

Joined May 19, 2008
Whats a tranzsor?

Am I interpreting the spec sheet correctly and need the current limiting resistor? I am going to put a 1k resistor between the op-amp and the digital pot.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Whats a tranzsor?

Am I interpreting the spec sheet correctly and need the current limiting resistor? I am going to put a 1k resistor between the op-amp and the digital pot.
A transorb is like a zener except that it can react to voltages higher than its voltage rating in nanoseconds.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Thanks for your input. I have some ES2D switching rectifiers. Would that work?
Nope, those are just fast recovery diodes. A 5V transzorb is what I am suggesting. The name TransZorb is a trade name for a specific manufacturer's device. The generic name of the part is a "transient suppressor".

hgmjr