Digital Out - Ref change

jismagic

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Whats the easiest/efficient way to take a digital out from a micro and then change the reference - (0-5V) to (0-12V) or (0-18V). Also increase the source and sink current.

thanks
jis

jismagic

Joined Sep 7, 2013
I forgot to mention - i do not want to build a circuit, but use something that is already available. Use an IC which can do it for me, or a module i can buy easily or replace easily

thanks
jis

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
This type of circuits is usually known as voltage level shifter and is used between 3.3V and 5V logic devices. You may do a search on eBay or Sparkfun to see if such product is available using keyword "voltage level shifter".

A cmos logic chip 'HCF40109BE' is also a logic shifter capable of 0-3V to 0-18V. It has separate Vcc and Vdd. You can download the datasheet of this chip from the net easily.

Allen

Last edited:

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
I forgot to mention - i do not want to build a circuit, but use something that is already available. Use an IC which can do it for me, or a module i can buy easily or replace easily

thanks
jis
A transistor solution will allow for a wide range of level shifts and need be no more than a transistor and perhaps a resistor. That's got to be easier than wiring up an IC surely?

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
This type of circuits is usually known as voltage level shifter and is used between 3.3V and 5V logic devices. You may do a search on eBay or Sparkfun to see if such product is available using keyword "voltage level shifter".

A cmos logic chip 'HCF40109BE' is also a logic shifter capable of 0-3V to 0-18V. It has separate Vcc and Vdd. You can download the datasheet of this chip from the net easily.

Allen
One of these chips might not fulfill the requirement to higher output current though.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
OP said:
Also increase the source and sink current.
Quite true. But the OP never specify how much current he wanted to source ot sink. A transistor can either sink or source current but not both. Unless it is connected in a totem-pole way.

May be the OP should spell out his need in more details.

Allen

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The ULN2001 gets you 7 translators. Each is a darlington transistor arrangement, so it acts as a logical inverter and each output needs a pull up resistor. Also, it does not pull down all the way to GND. Low outputs sit at 0.65-0.8V depending on current.

ak

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
However, a single mosfet transistor could be selected for whatever minimum voltage pulldown you'd like to chose based on current loading and RdsON. And you wouldn't need a pullup resistor on the input or output either.