digital motor protection

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by shoka, Mar 12, 2009.

1. shoka

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 12, 2009
    hello,
    i'm trying to make a digital motor protection.
    i'll measure the 3 phase voltage and current of a motor ,also i'lmm measure the frequency and P.F.
    MY problem is how to interface the voltage to the ADC of the PIC microcontroller.
    i use a transformer 220/15V 0.1 Amp, then i make a voltage divider and a bridge to rectificate the voltage .
    i then put a buffer and a diffrential op amp which doesn't work for AC .
    plz help me
    a file attached with the circuit

• DMP.pdf
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    It looks like a lot of elaboration. more is not necessarily better. The transformers' outputs could be rectified with the negative end of the bridge to circuit ground, just as you have it. You want to use the divider after the bridge, though - not between the transformer and bridge.

Apply the positive output to your divider with the other end to circuit ground. Use the wiper to pick off the voltage range you wish, and apply the pot's wiper to a single op amp. The one extra op you have has its input tied to ground, so it is not going to show a common-mode output (UiA, U2A, U3A).

The differential amp is operating single-ended as is, so it gives you no added signal processing. All you need is the pulsing DC output from the bridge and divider.

The divider is oddly made, for that matter. Why not just use one pot? Make the resistance high enough not to load the output of the transformer, like 50 K.

If you have some reason for the elaborated circuitry, please post up a narration of how and why it works. Perhaps I have missed something.

3. shoka

Mar 12, 2009
    u mean connect the transformer to the bridge and then voltage divider then the buffer.
    u also say that i don't need the differential amplifier.
    i understand what u have written ?
    thanks

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I think it will work correctly that way.

5. shoka

Mar 12, 2009
    thanks,
    now i want to measure the current , it's about 5A come from a C.T .
    i put a 0.1 ohm resistor in series, a voltage drop of 0.5 volt appears(0.1*5).
    a differential op amp is uses ... will it load a current ??
    a transformer of ferrite core is used with ratio 1/1.
    and then a bridge and a buffer.

will it work??

6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Have you looked into the ring/toroid current sensors?

An optocoupler after the rectifier, with a large dropping resistor, would allow you to measure the voltage without contact/circuit break as well.

The above would also allow the unit to be a non permanent installation.

7. shoka

Mar 12, 2009
    plz i want to know how to measure the AC current of 1-5 Amp?