Digital Logics|Parking Space Problem

ThePLAYGOD

Joined Nov 16, 2016
Question:
An individual has 4 parking spaces outside of his apartment complex. He wants to know
when two adjacent spaces are open as he does not want anyone to park next to his car. To
track the availability of parking spaces, he wants to make set up for logic indicators in the
apartment building for each parking space, which will glow or not based on the pressure
switches present in the parking spaces.The glowing condition of logic indicator specifes
availability of parking space otherwise it indicates that the parking space is occupied. The
logic indicators will function according to the following conditions:
If exactly one parking space is free, first logic indicator will glow.
If exactly two adjacent parking spaces are free, second logic indicator will glow.
If exactly three adjacent parking spaces are free, third logic indicator will glow.
If all the parking spaces are free, fourth logic indicator will glow.

Looking Forward for Answers

ThePLAYGOD

Joined Nov 16, 2016
So are we. What have you got? Where is your truth table? Where is your Karnaugh map? Where is your minimization? Where is your gate implementation?
Sorry,but i tried to solve through truth table but could not ,therefore posted there Above post contains the question.Hope it would help.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sorry,but i tried to solve through truth table but could not ,therefore posted there Above post contains the question.Hope it would help.
Translation: "I made some feeble attempt and since the solution wasn't immediately obvious I want someone else to do my homework for me."

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
A truth table by itself will not solve the problem; however, a solution will be difficult to achieve without having a completed truth table. Attached is a framework for the truth table of this problem showing the four parking spaces (P1,P2,P3,P4) and the four indicators (I1,I2,I3,I4). An occupied parking space is color-coded gray; a single empty space is pale yellow; two adjacent empty spaces are green; three adjacent empty spaces are blue; four adjacent empty spaces are violet. It seems clear that when all spaces are occupied (gray) then no indicator lights are active. And indicator I4 is active only when all parking spaces are empty (violet). It is left as an exercise for the student to complete the truth table.
Screenshot from 2016-11-16 21-36-36.png

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Your quandary is not a technical issue, but rather a question of interpreting the problem statement. What does the 'customer' really want? Do the stated requirements cover those particular conditions? Can you interpret what the 'customer' wants or do you have a better idea of what the 'customer' should want? Is clarification of the project requirements possible, or do you just have to guess and take the hit if you guess wrong? I can understand the stated requirements, but why should my guess be any more correct than yours? Typical situation for project engineers.