digital io variable

jismagic

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Hello,
Do you guys know anything like variable voltage digital io.
Normally using a dio card gives an output 5v Or 0.. I will need all sorts of voltage 5v-24v.
Seen something like that?

Thanks
Jis

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are a number of ways of achieving this. You need to tell us more of what you are attempting to do.

On way is to get a DAC (digital-to-analog converter) board.

jismagic

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Thanks for reply..I am interested in generating finite number of digital output for a test equipment. Its easy to buy this from market. But I do get this only for digital voltage range. But I need voltage range 5 to 24v.
I should also be able to control individual output voltage..

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hundreds of commercial boards are available or you can build your own. Google DAC board. How much current do you need to supply?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The conventional approach to digital is that you have two values, On and Off. You can represent these two values in many ways, one example is that Off is 0 volts, On is 5 volts.

The fact that you want more than two values tells me that you don't want digital.

What you want is digital CONTROL. This is very normal. Normal people use Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) to accomplish this task.

jismagic

Joined Sep 7, 2013
What I meant by "variable" is my digital ON can be 3V,5V,12V,13V,15V or even 24V.

Individually controlling mean , one digital output can be 0, other one can be 3V, third one can be 15V etc.

thanks
jis

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
why not use a proper voltage rated open colletor output buffer? then all you need to do is feed the voltage you want to make the 1's to the pull up resistors.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The output of your DAC card adding a LM358 to amplifing the voltage from 0~5V to 0~30V, and the gain set to 6.

If you afraid of the current od op amp is not enough, then you can adding a bjt to amplifying the current.