Digital I/O from webcam to open/close garage

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jmeredith, Dec 1, 2009.

1. jmeredith

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Guys, I have a webcam in my garage that has a 12v output that can be controlled via the website for the camera.

I have a 12v relay hooked to it right now and can open/close the relay via the website.

I help building a circuit that when I press close on the camera website the relay will go to CLOSED position for 1-2 seconds then go back to OPEN. This would mimic a finger pressing the garage door opener button press and cause the door to open or close when triggered.

I am guessing this might be a "flip flop circuit" but I am not sure.

I have run small proof of concept just clicking open then close quickly on the website and monitoring the activity of the door and it does work when the relay is wired up to the garage door opener button. I just dont want the relay to stay in the latched closed position since the garage door would react as though someone was holding down the opener button which is bad.

look forward to hearing some ideas!

NOTE: All safety systems for the garage door are in place as well as the camera which gives a clear view of the door's path. I understand garage doors are not designed to be opened or closed remotely and as such there are some dangers involved. In my opinion this is similar to systems that automatically close the door after x time elapses.