Digital Electronics help

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by aniskazi, May 6, 2014.

1. aniskazi

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2014
    Design a logic circuit of electronic lock with inputs P,Q,R so that output S is HIGH whenever Q=R. Using NAND gates.
    P Q R S
    0 0 0 1
    0 0 1 0
    0 1 0 0
    0 1 1 1
    1 0 0 1
    1 0 1 0
    1 1 0 0
    1 1 1 1

I made the eq as : P' Q' R' +P ' Q R + P Q'R '+ PQR ... ' = compliment taking QR common
    QR( P'+P) + Q'R'(P'+P)
    QR + Q'R'

is this eq: correct?

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    If the output doesn't depend on one of the inputs, the simplified equation shouldn't have it, right?

Your truth table has some places where Q=R, yet S=0...

Edit: The OP has come back and modified the post, so the answer provided is not what was originally there....

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  3. aniskazi

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2014
    yes edited the post sorry about that are you talking about the P input? that it shouldn't be in the circuit?

4. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I'm saying that if the output is only dependent on Q and R, it stands to reason that the function that describes the output should only consist of Q and R, in a reduced form.

5. aniskazi

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2014
    okay so if I only include Q and R in it so it will become with the equations as:

Q' R' + QR + Q' R' + QR

This will be the eq....

6. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I'm not suggesting that you simply omit the P, but rather that, as a check, your final equation cannot have a P variable.

I would suggest either posting your K-map or Boolean algebraic steps so we can comment...

7. aniskazi

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2014
    Got rid of the P in the final eq:
    P' Q' R' +P ' Q R + P Q'R '+ PQR ... ' = compliment taking QR common
    QR( P'+P) + Q'R'(P'+P)
    QR + Q'R'

correct my truth table with the eq and the final eq is this correct? I'm trying to make the truth table will show you when it's done :)

8. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    There you go.

You should learn to check your answers by comparing your simplified results against the original, that way, you needn't ask if you are right, but you'll know it.

9. aniskazi

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2014
    you mean to say that the eq that I got I should put the inputs and verify the results right? By the way made the circuit check it out please :)

http://postimg.org/image/tx0s7njqb/

10. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Precisely. If the functionality is any different, it is, by definition, not a simplified function. So, ensuring the same output for the same inputs will allow you to check the results yourself.

Looks good.

Another way to check this is to map out the truth table (like above).

It is typically encouraged for you to upload images to this forum as links to other website will eventually break. You can do that by clicking the paperclip icon while posting.

aniskazi likes this.
  11. full

May 3, 2014
    I think the answer is true:

[​IMG]

12. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Hi full,

While I'm sure you can do your own homework, doing other people's homework does not benefit them.

Please do not post answers as we try to teach people here and it's probably safe to reason the OP has seen many problems worked before. Showing the OP one more problem is unlikely to give them the clarity that comes from struggling through and grasping a problem one step at a time.

13. full

May 3, 2014
    ok ,I'm sorry,

I new in this forum

14. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    No worries.

Just keep your answers to your threads.:)

brahms likes this.
  15. aniskazi

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2014
    I had one more question in my mind that if I have got a circuit in which only AND gates have been used and I have to remake it using only NAND gates than for every one AND gate I have to use TWO NAND gates is that true?

16. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    To implement the exact approach, yes, however, there are typically ways to reduce the logic and implement a complemented function to realize a smaller number of NAND gates than a 1 to 1 AND gate logic implementation.

In other words, reexamining the NAND gate version can usually reduce the number of gates used when converting to a NAND only implementation.