Digital Electronic 3 bit seven segment design

silent_assasin

Joined May 19, 2012
Hi guys long shot here im looking for some help to design a 3 bit up/down synchronus Jk flip couter. i have the synchronus ok but as i am new to electronics i need help with

i want to connect this to a seven segment display with these conditions:

at 0 display E switch closed

at 1 display 0 switch open

at 2 display 1 switch open

at 3 display 2 switch open

at 4 display 3 switch open

at 5 display 4 switch open

at 6 display F switch closed

Is this possible if so any help is appreciated

silent_assasin

Joined May 19, 2012
Im so sorry im not sure ill be using simulation software using Multisim sorry i wasnt specific i really am new to all this Not to sure what to do.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Hi guys long shot here im looking for some help to design a 3 bit up/down synchronus Jk flip couter. i have the synchronus ok but as i am new to electronics i need help with

i want to connect this to a seven segment display with these conditions:

at 0 display E switch closed
at 1 display 0 switch open
at 2 display 1 switch open
at 3 display 2 switch open
at 4 display 3 switch open
at 5 display 4 switch open
at 6 display F switch closed

Is this possible if so any help is appreciated
I attached the decoder section of your circuit for display E, 0,1,2,3,4,F on your LED when the button is pushed. The 4017 is used to test the display. Dont understand what is "switch closed and open" so I didnt include them.

Allen

Attachments

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I wanna add sth to the question; how can add flip flop to obtain output as a cont. variable I wanna obtain character(A-H)
Open Excel and put "A-H" on the left column, segments a-g on the top row. put in the pattern for all the segments to be ON "0" and OFF "1" on the spreadsheet. eg. A="0001000",
b="1100000" etc
Use 7 NOR gates and count the amout of inputs with "1" for segment "a" vertically.....hope you get the idea.

Allen

Darknight7

Joined May 21, 2012
How should I design the circuit I mean can you share an example of the diagram? I am new at that subject? (with flip flop and seven segment I thought also NOR-like you- and INVERTER gates.)

silent_assasin

Joined May 19, 2012
Thanks for the help asbf will try it out today. i was told i could only use a 3 bit counter aka using 3 JK flip flops with Q0, Q1,Q2 as the out puts i can build the synchronous up/down counter im just curious of how to skip the numerical values and use the hex display instead. As i am not too familiar with this :s am i right to assume in the diagram provided that is the Decoder that leads to the nor gates.

Could i apply this with a 3 pin input decoder with the 8 outputs?

aplogies if i am not technically clear still learning hope this is understandable. Your help is greatly appreciated :)