Digital dual meter display change

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by HughP, Sep 13, 2016.

1. HughP

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 20, 2016
    I have a digital VA meter in my junk box that works fine but only displays up to 9.99Amps. I need to display from 10mA to 65mA so ideally the ammeter should display 10x the actual reading. Is there any way to do this easily?

2. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    Unlikely, it all depends on how it measures the current. Does it use a resistor or a current transformer (or hall effect device if it for DC)?

3. HughP

Feb 20, 2016
    It's a DC VA meter so I guess it is a Hall effect device? It has 3 input wires (COM, Power and Current input) and 2 power supply wires. Does that help?

4. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    For DC current measurement it may use a resistor or hall effect device. For 10A I would expect it to be a resistor.
    Do you want to modify the inside of the meter or add something outside which will do the job?
    Modifying the inside may or may not be practicable depending on how it built.
    Adding some circuitry outside is certainly possible but it will need a power supply capable of supplying 10A so it is not trivial.

5. HughP

Feb 20, 2016
    Thanks for your input. It sounds to me that having a 10A supply is not worth fiddling with the meter as the innards of the meter are SMD and on a PCB. So much for my easy-fix change but I do appreciate your help