digital design - state machines

mccormick.cj

Joined May 25, 2008
Hi all, quick question

How do I come up with a schematic from only a state diagram or truth table?
I need to implement state diagrams using T, JK and/or D flip flops. How do I go about this after putting together a truth table?

Any help would be much appreciated

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Hi all, quick question

How do I come up with a schematic from only a state diagram or truth table?
I need to implement state diagrams using T, JK and/or D flip flops. How do I go about this after putting together a truth table?

Any help would be much appreciated
Do you want to implement the circuit form a truth table?

mccormick.cj

Joined May 25, 2008
either a PS/NS table or a state diagram. I just need somewhere to start. My professor hasn't showed up in 2 classes but keeps assigning homework, so Im lost.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
either a PS/NS table or a state diagram. I just need somewhere to start. My professor hasn't showed up in 2 classes but keeps assigning homework, so Im lost.
Well, i dont know what a PS/NS table is but if you explain me maybe i would be able to help you.

Caveman

Joined Apr 15, 2008
So you need to create a table like this:
Rich (BB code):
IN LS NS
 0 00 10
 1 00 00
 0 01 11
 1 01 01
 0 10 01
 1 10 00
 0 11 00
 1 11 01
So if each bit of the state variable (there are two) is a single flip flop, then you have on the output of the flip flop the last state (actually the current state) that you clocked to. The input will be the next state. It will be based on combinational logic using the last state and the input, so for next state bit 0 (the right one), you can see it will be a one if last state is 01 or last state is 10 and the input is 0 or if the last state is 11 and the input is 1. In equation form:

NS0 = LS1'*LS0 + LS1*LS0'*IN' + LS1*LS0*IN

You need to do this for both bits of the state. Now Z1 is based purely on state, so it is just a combinational value based on the output of the flip flops.
Z2 is a bit unclear, but it looks like it needs to be latched like a state. It's input is based on the next state logic above, the last state, and the input.

So the next Z2 value is needed. It is simply NZ2 = LS1*LS0*IN'. You would put NZ2 into the D input of a flip flop and the output would be the current Z2 value.

Does this make sense?

mccormick.cj

Joined May 25, 2008
ok, so i get equations for each bit of my next state.

then how do i go from my equations to using a flip flop? so, how would i take these equations and use a T and JK flip flop in my schematic?

Caveman

Joined Apr 15, 2008
Start with using the idea of a D flip flop (which is what is usually used anyways), then alter it to use a T or JK flip flop for each. For a D flip flop, the state is the output, and the next state is the input. That way when the clock rising edge occurs, the state becomes the next state.

To use a T flip flop, you would have to drive the enable line correctly to make sure it toggles when it should. For a JK, you would have to drive two sets of logic, one for set, and one for reset.