Digital Clock IC

daviddeakin

Joined Aug 6, 2009
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if there is an all-in-one clock chip on the market any more? (Something like the old MM5314 variety, which took mains frequency in one end and put out 7-seg or BCD signals at the other). I have built a couple of clocks using logic, but I was hoping to cut down on my parts-count next time, and I don't have the ability to program MCUs.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
A real-time clock IC is probably the closest thing to what you are looking for.

By the way, I have relocated your query in a thread of its own.

hgmjr

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
I remember building a digital clock using one of those special purpose ICs back in the 70's. Not sure if there's anything like those ICs around any more, but, on a somewhat related note, I did build a novelty single chip Clock/Calendar/Timer with a six digit Charlieplexed 7-segment display last year using an 18-pin PIC16F88 (sorry)...

Kind regards, Mike

daviddeakin

Joined Aug 6, 2009
A real-time clock IC is probably the closest thing to what you are looking for.

By the way, I have relocated your query in a thread of its own.

hgmjr
Aha! Yes I had seen these chips on Farnell, but looking at the datasheets I couldn't figure out what to actually do with them.
For example, the PCF8563 http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/60445.pdf
How do you go abotu setting the time/date, or does it get it from GPS or something? Additionally, assuming I actually managed to get the thing putting out the right numbers/dates in BCD, is it actually possible to decode it without an MCU (and without extraordinary numbers of logic ICs)?

EDIT: Idea! Perhaps feed the BCD output into a serial>parallel shift register and then feed the outputs of the register straight to 7-seg display drivers? (I'm really only interested in the time, not the date or other functions)

Beenthere, the Maximim chip appears to need an MCU interface, which is out of my league I'm afraid!

Last edited:

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if there is an all-in-one clock chip on the market any more? (Something like the old MM5314 variety, which took mains frequency in one end and put out 7-seg or BCD signals at the other). I have built a couple of clocks using logic, but I was hoping to cut down on my parts-count next time, and I don't have the ability to program MCUs.
The NTE2061 is a direct replacement for the MM5316 and are available from Mouser electronics. If you want build a clock with the NTE2061, I would be happy to send you a schematic for a clock. I have built several with that IC

daviddeakin

Joined Aug 6, 2009
The NTE2061 is a direct replacement for the MM5316 and are available from Mouser electronics. If you want build a clock with the NTE2061, I would be happy to send you a schematic for a clock. I have built several with that IC
Thanks for the pointer! Annoyingly this chip is harder to obatin here in Britian, although I could get hold of it if I run out of alternatives. I would like to see the schem though! mallorynichols ATT hotmal DOT co DOT uk

Going back to the PCF8563, does anyone know what deivce would serve as the master receiver (as shown in the block diagram on page 20)? http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/60445.pdf

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Aha! Yes I had seen these chips on Farnell, but looking at the datasheets I couldn't figure out what to actually do with them.
For example, the PCF8563 http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/60445.pdf
How do you go abotu setting the time/date, or does it get it from GPS or something? Additionally, assuming I actually managed to get the thing putting out the right numbers/dates in BCD, is it actually possible to decode it without an MCU (and without extraordinary numbers of logic ICs)?

EDIT: Idea! Perhaps feed the BCD output into a serial>parallel shift register and then feed the outputs of the register straight to 7-seg display drivers? (I'm really only interested in the time, not the date or other functions)

Beenthere, the Maximim chip appears to need an MCU interface, which is out of my league I'm afraid!
The PCF8563 is a very capable, if somewhat complex register-wise, clock chip. It has one of the most most detailed/lengthy datasheets I've seen for a relatively simple-purpose IC. It has 16-registers, and 16-flagbits. Comm is done via i2c (aka TWI) which is simple enough if you know what you're doing. The main thing is that you must limit reads/writes as the internal clock is stopped each time you do while registers are updated. Since a read/write of any/all registers can be done in nanoseconds, doing this a couple of times a second won't degrade performance.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The PCF8563 is a very capable, ...
Why did you resurrect a 9 year old post?

If the OP is still around and looking for a clock chip like MM5314, I probably have one or something similar. But the cost would be shocking because they're unobtainable now.

These days, I'd opt for a Raspberry Pi Zero W. Once configured to connect to WiFi, it becomes a self setting clock; after you write the program to display the time on the display. My current clock project has a single 5x7 LED matrix and I scroll the time and/or messages on it in this format: SUN JUN 2 09:00:00 2019.

Another advantage of the Pi is that you can also use it as a Linux computer that you can connect to via vncviewer or ssh.

Last edited:

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Maybe something here...

http://electronicsusa.com/mm5314nclockchip.html

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009

If the OP is still around and looking for a clock chip like MM5314, I probably have one or something similar. But the cost would be shocking because they're unobtainable now.

These days, I'd opt for a Raspberry Pi Zero W. Once configured to connect to WiFi, it becomes a self setting clock; after you write the program to display the time on the display. My current clock project has a single 5x7 LED matrix and I scroll the time and/or messages on it in this format: SUN JUN 2 09:00:00 2019.

Another advantage of the Pi is that you can also use it as a Linux computer that you can connect to via vncviewer or ssh.
Because people still use the PCF8563, and surprisingly information on it can be hard to find. I know I still use them in my VFD clock designs.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009

Pis are fine if you don't want to bare-metal it :p - I prefer to design the motherboard, etc, and use the actual chips to do things. As for wifi and all that, that's trivial to add. I put the world's smallest real time kernel on an 8-bit controller (about 6K), and added a web-browser to it for access. Everything else is an adjunct device easily addressable through the device manager.