Digital Clock Block Diagram

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Wendy, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    We seem to be getting a lot of queries about Digital Clocks, so I've drawn up this block diagram to help out. If anyone (especially the mods) can suggest improvements please do.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Another clocksource can be a 32768 Hz crystal oscillator
    (from an old digital watch for instance)
    with a 32768 divider to get the 1 Hz reference for the seconds.

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    True enough, but what do you think most of the students are being assigned? From what I can tell, these courses are being given as a practical assignment in flip flops and counters.

I didn't realize how wide this diagram wanted to be when I started. :rolleyes:

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

With a crystal oscillator you are independend of the line frequency.
    You could even make a CMOS version on batteries.
    (though the display will take some current when not multiplexed).

Greetings,
    Bertus

5. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    I don't think any of these guys are actually building this sucker. If you go through the last 5 or so posts asking for help they come up with "I don't have a clue where to start" or a simple "HELP!". I only wish the clocks I buy used something so good, for the most part they seem to have a poorly adjusted RC oscillator when the power goes out and the battery backup takes over. This really is the commercial standard.

This is meant as a starting point for these guys. If you and I were to build the clock this would be totally unnecessary. Near as I can figure, over half of the old hands would start off with a microcontroller.

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The number of counters isn't too bad, but the PCB gets awfully busy if you're just using logic.

I am pretty past it, but I lost interest pretty seriously about the time 8 bit systems went away. But I'm about to glom onto the STK500 and a clock is my first project. Got lotsa LED's for it - gonna track seconds (also stay busy at the drill press for a bit).