Digital camera is necessity or not?

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by woterms, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woterms

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 18, 2008
    With the development of economic, live standard is also improved. Lots of people have digital camera just like cell phone. However, digital camera is necessity or not? Some people would say it can be used when we are traveling or we are joining in activity. Do you agree with this?
    I do not think so. Taking a photo is the best way to record your memory in the life. When you are old, you watch these photos in the childhood or young, you will think happy times back. Digital camera become common and common, the price also become lower and lower, whatever brand or OEM camera. Although price of brand become lower, there still are lots of people who can not afford them. In China, there are lots of OEM digital cameras. Price is cheaper. Most of people can afford them. People can buy them online all over the world. It is convenient. Just like me, I come from country. I do not get so much from my job. But I still want to buy a camera to record my memory. Last week, I shop an OEM camera on online shop from China. It juts costs me about 90USD. Although there are some disadvantages. After all I can use it to record my happy times. That is enough. Do you think so? Some people would say the quality is important. Of course it is right. But I never mind, I do mind I can record my happy times. Thanks for its help.

2. leftyretro

Nov 25, 2008
    Yes, digital cameras have many advantages over older film cameras. In addition of the cost of the film camera the cost of film and film development caused many to be careful of how many pictures they took at a time and of course running out of film and then finding great shots but no film was always a dissapointment. Cost of film development was always a factor and you paid for the whole roll to be developed even if only a few pictures were wanted.

However not is all perfect as to actually save all of your digital pictures one needs to either print every picture or have a PC computer in which to save picture files. So cost of PC is part of cost for complete solution in digital cameras and that is not always affordable in some countries in the world. If one already has a PC then the incremental cost of digital camera is very affordable these days.

Also you should make an effort to save picture files in a another media such as CD or DVD disk as if PC hard drive fails with your only copy of your pictures I'm sure you would be sad.

Lefty

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I'm not sure where this thread is going. I have several digital cameras, as I kept upgrading until I got where I needed to be. I would like a better one, but I don't actually need it.

The one feature you need for something like this site is macro scale, the ability to take close ups, usually 6 inches or so from the lense. This is so you can take pictures of circuits and put them up on the website.

I like digital because you can take as many pictures as you want and it is relatively low cost. Hardcopy is what costs, but there are ways of reducing those costs too.

The only feature I feel needs improving (and my camera have it, but not as good as I would like) is what I call the camcorder feature. The new cameras do digital video very well. Mine is extremely low res. The difference is memory. I just bought a couple of 8Gig SD (Secure Digital) cards for around $15, and the prices are still dropping.

There is nothing wrong with used, just do your homework before you buy one.

4. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    I bought my Mom a digital camera + printer bundle a few years back for Christmas. She doesn't have, or ever use a computer. Last year I got her a digital picture frame. Gets pretty good use out of the camera without a computer.

I went digital because I almost always had a need to scan prints into the computer, to enhance or use. Film is kind of costly in time and money. Processing can take a day or two, where with digital you can review your shots on site, and re-shoot if you don't like. Digital is also environmentally friendly, no chemicals to dispose of. Film can be a gamble, as a whole roll can be damage by heat or radiation. Some trainee might screw up the processing...

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Yes, pictures are great for reliving memories. Consider all of those VHS video recordings of the children growing up. So where do you get a VHS (or beta) machine for viewing them today?

I wonder whether what we record today on or by whatever chip, medium, or technology is available will be viewable in 20 years to 30 years. Already the early memory chips for digital cameras are becoming obsolete. While it is easier to copy digital to new formats than it is VHS or Beta, who has the discipline to do that?

So, if you really want to be able to view something in the future, you may still need to get hardcopy prints.

John

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Digital also copies over to new formats. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm willing to bet BlueRay DVD can read old CD formats. One of the many reasons the Recording Industry doesn't like digital is it makes perfect copies of the master, unlike analog recordings such as VHS VCR tapes.

The main thing is to find a secure place to put the copies, which is another advantage to digital. House fires and other natural disasters can take out everything, but digital can be backed up off site via the Internet.

You can ALWAYS translate a digital copy into a hardcopy (though I'm a little suspicious how long the image will last compared to older techniques).

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Quite frankly, the original post is on the very edge of advertising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.