digital building blocks

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by relicmarks, Nov 17, 2008.

1. relicmarks

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    I have a problem of knowing the basic digital building blocks

With Analog building blocks i don't have a problem because when looking at a schematic of analog symbols and circuits/networks i can tell thats a summing mixer, differentiator, intergator, small single amplifier, pre-amp, poweramp, etc.

But with digital building blocks its more complex to know what the blocks are really cause its mixed up with all kinds of different gates,invertors,buffers,adders,subtractors,counters,flip flops etc.

Is there any turtorials or pictures of digital building blocks , so when i look at a schematic that has digital circuits i can BREAK up the schematic into BLOCKS

This is the adder stage, this is the subtractor stage, 4 bit count down counter circuit/stage, 4 bit synchronous Counter circuit/stage
    ,Asynchronous Decade Decimal 10 counter circuit/stage,3 bit up and down counter circuit/stage

Back in your 70's or 80's digital electronic classes or jobs , what stages/sections or blocks do u guys know of ?

I don't have a cookbook of digital building blocks but i'm trying to make one for myself

Just very simple building blocks for digital electronics

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
  3. relicmarks

Oct 13, 2006
    do you know any others like that?

or any other turtorials for digital electronics ?

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Back in the 60's, the basic building block was the NOR gate. A bit later, it was the NAND gate. You can make any logic function with either of those gates.

To be more practical, you should be able to get a data sheet for any logic IC with a diagram of the basic functions drawn out.

5. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    I bet a simple search in google will reveal thousands of them.

6. relicmarks

Oct 13, 2006
    oh yes i have done that

its kinda of hard what im trying to say

Since im not the designer of the digital circuits/networks or do R&D work at my job

I don't know how these digital circuits or networks are suppost to work or do

so i have just printed out digital building blocks from turtorials and tried to COMPARE them with the schematics to see it i can find any stages/sections/blocks that look similar or alike

Trying to break down digital circuits into Blocks is hard for me because the result or outputs of these are not the same as the ones in turtorials or electronic books

Truth tables tell up the inputs and outputs

But a digital circuit is many truth tables combined,mixed,splitted,arranged,added,subtracted

So i don't know how the logic signals are composed

Truth tables don't tell a tech. the "Intermediates signals" that are inbetween the inputs and outputs

the basic building block was the NOR gate and NAND gate

If you make a adder circuit out of NOR and NAND gates or a COUNTER out of NOR or NAND Gates manually

The truth tables will just tell you the inputs and outputs for individual NOR or NAND

The "intermediates signals" are all the 1's and 0's inbetween the inputs and outputs circuits that are either inverted,buffed,added,subtracted,flip,flop,etc.

7. Manvir

Jul 17, 2013
  8. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    It can be difficult to know what a block of logic circuits are doing if it's not apparent what the circuit is meant to do. You generally need an idea of the purpose of the circuit and the input and output signals to determine its function.

9. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
  10. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    You folks do realize that relicmarks (the OP here) has not made a post in the last 4 years?

Plus no one mentioned the classic book on logic building blocks:

[​IMG]

GopherT likes this.
  11. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Curses. Suckered again by the New Member who resurrects ancient posts. :p

ErnieM likes this.