Digital Audio (mp3) Player - Ideas and assistance

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by LatAsh12, Jul 28, 2016.

1. LatAsh12

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    I have a third-year electronics design project to essentially build a mp3 player. The specs are broad so there is room for ideas. Being a student, I would like to get insight on what possible ways I can go ahead with the project.
    The basic specifications include:
    - to play at least one type of audio file (wav format, for example)
    - files read from storage device (flash drive)
    - must have play/pause, stop, skip track, ffwd/rewind
    - project must have it's own power supply and adjustable volume speaker
    - project must display elapsed time of playing track
    - No adruino

The last spec is an unfortunate one but understandable for the course. The power supply and speaker I have experience building and so do not require assistance with. However the rest is new territory. I have previously worked with Atmel (Atmega32 programmable chip) and understand a bit of assembly with that.

Any and all ideas with which components to use and how to set it up will be a great help. Thank you for your time!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Perhaps this site would give you some idea how to start your project.

You can adapt the design to any micro-controllers you are familiar with like PIC, AVR or 8051.

I helped my friend to assemble a MP3 kits for his final year project around 10 years ago. It was a kit using pic 16f877a with the mp3 decoder which he ordered from US for US$ 100.

Today I can easily buy mp3 player ready-made PCBs from eBay and I used some of them to repair powered sound players to attract swallows to make bird's nets in a home-made shelter.

Allen

LatAsh12 and Ulika Naidoo like this.
  3. DNA Robotics

Jun 13, 2014
    LatAsh12 likes this.
  4. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    If you have the option to avoid using MP3 file format- do.
    Using MP3 requires: (a) a nightmarish complex dedicated decoder chip, or (b) a huge, bandwidth hogging chunk of complex code.

Just make a player that uses .WAV files, it's vastly simpler and sounds just fine.
    Then you do not require a chip or complex algorithm to decode the data - just pump it to a DAC at a constant rate and that's it.
    Your seek functions can be more elegant too- no decoder latency to deal with.

LatAsh12, Ulika Naidoo and absf like this.