Digital Alarm Clock

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
That is a lot of work and chips to make an alarm clock. The only reason one would design a clock in this manner is to learn how digital counter circuits work.

You can make a digital alarm clock with one mcu chip.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
So this is homework project. Adding an alarm feature would be extremely complicated.

You could limit the alarm to trigger on the hour only.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
You could use 74LS85 magnitude comparators that compare the BCD hours and minutes to values set on thumbwheel BCD switches to hold the alarm time. A=B is the alarm output.

The alarm time could also be the outputs of 4 more 7490's (or some BCD up/down counter) that uses buttons to count to the desired alarm time in the same manner that you set the time of day. In that case, you would need to multiplex the digit values between the alarm and time registers so that you could see the alarm setting.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The brute force way would be to take two of these clocks and disable the clock signal for one of them (assuming that you can still set the time without it, which I can't tell because I can't read the schematic details well enough). Then use a quad XOR gate for each digit (or perhaps just the hourse and minutes) to compare the values on the two clocks. Combine all of the digits with NOR and you have a signal that goes HI only when the output of the two circuits match. Use that for your alarm trigger.

jocc

Joined Jan 28, 2014
hey man, have u gotten solution for ur digital alarm clock design? if so please help me by attaching it. coz u know i'm on agreat confusion on it and i need a help of espeasially yours. and make it fast
THANK YOU

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Watch your language and tone of voice.

The purpose of AAC is to help each other learn and not to serve you on a silver platter pronto.

Also when someone chooses to type using single letters, poor spelling and punctuation it tells us a lot about his/her personality

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
hey man, have u gotten solution for ur digital alarm clock design? if so please help me by attaching it. coz u know i'm on agreat confusion on it and i need a help of espeasially yours. and make it fast
THANK YOU
In other words, "Yo Dude, I want to copy your homework. Give it to me now!"