Difficulty picking University course

Thewildman

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Hi guys!
I am going to uni soon, and i'm unsure of what to pick. I hope to go in into robotics/mechatronics, and i'm a little stuck between courses:

Electrical engineering or Mechanical engineering.

I'm slightly more drawn to mechanical, but im unsure whats more directed at my hopeful career choice.

any advice will b greatful,
Cheers guys!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That depends on what part of robotics interests you more -- the mechanical side or the control side. You would probably be well served to double major in both, but if you can't, then you are probably better off majoring in mechanical and minoring in electrical, with your minor focusing on controls and embedded systems.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I think you're in the same boat I am. I depart as of this Saturday and I may so regard myself as an official graduate :)

Anyway, back to the point, you should be able to switch if you don't think your choice was absolute.

My firm choice for uni' gave me the opportunity to choose any two modules outside (or in) of the main discipline per-semester which, believe it or not, formed the basis for my decision on where to go.

By way of a blood sample, I'm power anyway, so I want some geography under my belt. With that said, a particular interest of mine is rotating electrical machines and that is regarded as electromechanical engineering.

All in all, the true experience will never begin until you've secured the job anyway.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Surly, there is a cirriculum in 'robotics' or electro-mechanics. If not, look into industrial engineering. I can't tell you if it's what you need or not, but it might be worth a look. Some uni's allow you to customize your cirriculum, pending their approval.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Some universities have a program in Mechatronics that combines studies in Mechanical Engineering, Computers and Robotics.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Read my post ,its hard to select one place because its not all in one university.

You have connect all the dots , your question is what my post is about.

Posted on off-topic today.