Differential Equations

evo21

Joined Nov 17, 2007
hey,
i have a big test coming up and i need to study something but i dont know how its called in english.

its the inverse of differential, something that transforms the differential equation in the original equation, like:
[cos(x)] = sen(x) or [1] = x

and where can i find books talking about that?

shankbond

Joined Nov 4, 2007
i think u r either talking about
differential equations or integration calculus
so , search books mentioning the above said titles

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I can't make any sense of your request.

My best guess is that you are talking about the Laplace Transform. It transforms a differential equation into an algebraic equation. Is that what you are talking about?

evo21

Joined Nov 17, 2007
f'(cos x)= -sen x

if i want to reverse it

[-sen x] = cos x

what is the name of that operation?
in my country it is called primitivate, but i cant find anything with that name, so i was wondering what is the proper name in english..

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The inverse of differentiation is integration - see the Fundamental Theorum of Calculus.

What you have done in the above post is integrate the original differential function.

Dave

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
f'(cos x)= -sen x

if i want to reverse it

[-sen x] = cos x

what is the name of that operation?
in my country it is called primitivate, but i cant find anything with that name, so i was wondering what is the proper name in english..
I see it now. What threw me was the use of the abreviation "sen" for the sine function. The "English" abreviation is sin, as in sin(x).

Some textbooks also call the operation the anti-derivative, but I'm not sure the useage is widely accepted.

You might find the table from the following article handy. Google and Wiki are your friends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_function

evo21

Joined Nov 17, 2007
yeah thats it. in my school we first learn the anti-derivatives and only after we learn the integration, so i though they were different. my teacher uses a different notation for anti-derivatives that doesnt look like integration at all, hence the confusion.

thanks for the answers =)