differential amplifier? LVDS type?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by chrisw1990, May 7, 2012.

1. chrisw1990

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i need an amplifier like these here but, i dont understand what they are? i only need single ended operation but dont know what these devices are called? nor have any idea what to look for. it needs to convert a 1MHz Oscillator signal to drive a coil.
    Cheers
    Chris

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    An op-amp to operate at 1MHz shouldn't be too hard to find, but you'll need to define the input voltage, available power supply and output voltage and current requirements. And the coil impedance at 1MHz.

Be aware that the clock puts out a nearly square wave. The op-amp will round the edges unless you get a VERY fast one, and design carefully for that frequency. Not an issue if you don't care about wave shape.

[oops] You said oscillator, and I assumed crystal, but you didn't say that.

3. chrisw1990

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i did mean crystal, however, my pic32 crystal is a sine wave.. i was intending to use that type of oscillator? or is it just a sine wave because its so fast?
    available power supply, 3.3V,
    input voltage.. minimal, its a 3.3V oscillator, (maybe one of those chip oscillators?)
    output voltage +3.3-GND sinewave
    current requirements.. dunno, and the coil impedance.. i was intending to have a PCB coil, so i guess i need to start at the coil first?

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    If you want to ring a coil, then yes it makes sense to start with the properties of the coil and the required results, and design to achieve that.