different coloured LED's?

Sbaraka

Joined May 12, 2010
Why is it that different coloured LED's have different rates of switching on and off?

i have tried very hard to find the answer via research on the internet, visited many sites about LED's, but have been unable to find out the answer to this question. :confused:

so of course anybody who could explain it, or post a link to a website which does, it would be greatly appreciated.
thank you. :)

Sbaraka

Joined May 12, 2010
thanks for replying. well i mean exactly that, the speed at which the LED flicks on and flicks off. so how soon after getting electricity does the LED turn on. so why is it that when in an exact same astable multivibrator circuit do green LEDs flicker faster than red LEDs

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
They dont. The switching speed is not a cause for flicker. It is the duty cycle.

You want to look at the datasheets for your different color LEDs. They have different Vf (forward voltage, or voltage drop) and some require more current to appear as bright.

You may not want to use the same astable mv for both leds, as they may require different operating voltages or current. If you found a green and red LED of the same specs, there would be no difference (noticiable. A few nM of wavelength maybe) It could also be your eyes ability to perceive color.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
LEDs respond to current, they do not control it. Their may be minor speed differences, but given that LEDs are meant to provide light typically for humans, who can't tell 1 or 2 milliseconds apart, 1 or 2 nano or microseconds doesn't mean squat. My feeling is the questions is meaningless.

If an LED is fed DC it doesn't flick on or off, it provides continuous light.

LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I'm guessing that the LED is part of the multivibrator circuit and so the different forward voltages change it's frequency.
Post the circuit.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
the capacitors will charge at different rates after the LEDs. This is due to the different voltage drops from the different LEDs.