Differences LM2907 8-pin & 14-pin

Rejected666

Joined Feb 10, 2010
I've built the following circuit:

But it isn't working (output always stays 0V).
And I'm wondering if it's because I've used the 14-pin version instead of the 8-pin version of the lm2907...

Looking at the datasheet (http://www.emesystems.com/pdfs/parts/LM2907.pdf) I assumed that all I had to do to use it in this circuit was combine pin 3 & 4 and pin 11 & 12 of the 14-pin version to get the same 8 pins as the 8-pin version.

Did I overlook something there or is it correct and should I look for a problem elsewhere?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Your assumption of pins 3 & 4 and 11 & 12 needing to be tied together to make an equivalent of the LM2907 is correct.

If C1 is a polarized electrolytic cap, you may have destroyed it already. It needs to be a non-polarized type. C1 allows

If you're trying to use it in an automotive environment, we don't support discussions on automotive modifications as per the Terms of Service, paragraph 6.

Rejected666

Joined Feb 10, 2010
Thanks. And C1 is non-polarized.
I'm not using it in an automotive environment, I just want to measure pulses on a 12V signal so this circuit seemed ideal.

So I took some measurements and I think I've found the problem, I just don't know what to do about it...

The voltage at the BC557B emitter stays at 5.00V while the voltage at the base is 4.99V when the input is low and 5.54V when the input is high.
So the voltage at the base never really goes below the voltage at the emitter. And the BC557B being a PNP transistor this means there can never be a flow of current between the emitter and the collector...

But I can 't figure out why and how to solve it...

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I'm not using it in an automotive environment, I just want to measure pulses on a 12V signal so this circuit seemed ideal.

So I took some measurements and I think I've found the problem, I just don't know what to do about it...

The voltage at the BC557B emitter stays at 5.00V while the voltage at the base is 4.99V when the input is low and 5.54V when the input is high.
So the voltage at the base never really goes below the voltage at the emitter. And the BC557B being a PNP transistor this means there can never be a flow of current between the emitter and the collector...

What input source did you use for K2?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010

I simulated the circuit on proteus and it worked (partially). I replace k2 with a 10K resistor, and inject 12V AC pulses of 100Hz, 50% duty cycle between R1 and k2 and I am getting pulses at F_in. The output is about 2.8V DC with Vcc=6V and K1 removed. No idea how to simulate K1.

Allen

Last edited:

Rejected666

Joined Feb 10, 2010
Well, after some testing I have it working.

First I realized that the input had to be connected to ground when going low instead of just floating.
This didn't seem to help until I measured the voltage at pin 1.
And every time I measured the voltage at pin 1 the circuit started working...
So I just connected pin 1 to ground through a 1 MΩ resistor and it works since.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
pin 1 is the non-inverting input of op-amp. I think adding the 1M resistor is a good idea rather than let it float.

Allen