Differences in relays

Landon

Joined Oct 3, 2007
Hi guys,

What's the difference between a standard relay and those mercury wetted relays? Can anyone assist? I'm building a circuit which require the mercury wetted relays, but i'm having trouble obtaining it. Anyone can assist on this?

Thks
Landon

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The mercury was there to keep the contacts from wearing out during normal operation. You will not find mercury wetted relays because of environmental concerns, as Bertus said.

Get a relay that can handle the voltage and current, and is in a similar package.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I'm building a circuit which require the mercury wetted relays, but i'm having trouble obtaining it. Anyone can assist on this?
I would have to disagree with comments by others to just use a common relay or a reed as replacement.

If the original designer choose to use a mercury wetted contact then you can "simply" replace it with a contact that doesn't bounce and one that have consistent and stable contact resistance between operations.

Unfortunately, the only type of contact that does not bounce is, as you should have already guessed by now, the mercury wetted contact.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What is the application?
Why do you need the mercury wetted contacts?
Is a solid state relays possible?

Greetings,
Bertus

Landon

Joined Oct 3, 2007
Hi guys

Thks for all the replies. Appreciate it. I'm building a circuit to simulate a spike.
The selection for mercury is due to it does not bounce. Unfortunately, it seems rare. I'm trying to look for alternative and substitutes to it but i'm having some difficulties.

Attached below is the circuit. on the extreme right is the mercury wetted relay.

Attachments

Landon

Joined Oct 3, 2007
Hi Bertus, it's 730 in the morning and you replied me! Wow. Thks alot. I think your suggestion might work. I'll try it out. Thank you so much. Love this forum.