Differences between AC / DC Motors.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
With a brush and a DC motor, + | - with coil wrapped around and on the side are perm magnets when the current is applied the magnets repel and spin, I understand, but how's an AC motor do it, applying an AC source to a DC motor just makes it shake violently (I know i tried :) )

So would it just be a case of how it's wound to accommodate DC or AC? it's hard to find anything exact on google most posts just say "an AC motor is powered by AC current, DUH" and as for wiki, it's not really explaining the difference just how it works for an AC motor.

kourosh

Joined Aug 24, 2007
that plus how the brushes are. In DC motors, the brushes must create a continuous rotation by means of chaging the polarity but in some AC motors, the brush does not change the polarity; it just allows entangled-free wirring.
Note: to explain this more clearly, i would compare a specific type of AC motor with a DC motor.

resilient

Joined Feb 2, 2009
In a DC motor, the rotor is usually connected to an electric source (hence the brushes). In an AC induction motor, currents inside the rotor are induced by the AC current running through the stator. Additionally, the magnetic field inside an AC motor rotates around the stator whereas the field inside a DC motor is stationary.

greendean

Joined Dec 20, 2008
In a DC motor, the rotor is usually connected to an electric source (hence the brushes). In an AC induction motor, currents inside the rotor are induced by the AC current running through the stator. Additionally, the magnetic field inside an AC motor rotates around the stator whereas the field inside a DC motor is stationary.
Just to add to that.
DC motors use permanent magnets.
AC motors have no magnets.
The magnetism in AC motors is created by the flux in the stator windings.