Difference in bootloaders

sriniketh

Joined Jul 7, 2015
Hello all,

I am new to microcontroller programming and i am trying to learn more about the bootloader programming. I am using atmel ATmega328-P micro controller and in addition to that, i have an Arduino Uno board for other projects . I have seen some information regarding the usage of Arduino bootloader sketch in arduino IDE as bootloader for the ATMega 328-P using arduino uno as programmer. My question is what difference does it make if i download other custom made bootloader programs which are shared in internet against the arduino bootloader. My requirement is to flash the updated programs to the microcontroller using USB - UART converter during testing phase and using a USB port with microcontroller with native USB support . What shall i look for while choosing the type of bootloaders to download and kindly suggest me an effective way to learn about bootloader programming so that i can try it on my own..

Regards

Sriniketh

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The main points about bootloader programming are:
  1. What is the protocol for downloading a program into flash memory.
  2. How do you use the bootloader to update the bootloader.
The answers to these questions revolve around using a communications interface to send and receive bytes, and locating a program in one area of flash memory so that another area of flash memory can be erased and reprogrammed. Each different family of processors will do it differently. If it was me I would study in detail how to read and write bytes to each different block of flash memory include configuration bytes. Then I would study communication interfaces in great graphic detail.

Last edited:

sriniketh

Joined Jul 7, 2015
Thank you for the insight. So does it mean if i burn arduino ISP bootloader on to my microcontroller, i can update the subsequent application programs using arduino board as usb to serial converter ( and transfer using Rx and Tx pin) ?

Regards

Sriniketh

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thank you for the insight. So does it mean if i burn arduino ISP bootloader on to my microcontroller, i can update the subsequent application programs using arduino board as usb to serial converter ( and transfer using Rx and Tx pin) ?

Regards

Sriniketh
So long as all the assumptions the bootloader makes about the board it is going onto are correct.