Difference between transformers

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
I currently have a prototype application (simple flyback converter in essence) which functions correctly with the following type of transformer:

It is an auto-transformer being used in flyback mode at 100Hz. It's values are approximately P = 5mH N = 1:4.

I want to switch this type of transformer with the following type of transformer with the same values used in the same application:

This type of transforemr (CCFL) better serves me because of its physical dimensions. I spoke with the manufacturer and it can be produced with the same values. Should I expect my device to continue to work in the same fashion? The only obvious differences I am aware of is the ground isolation (which I don't think should matter here) and the fact that the auto-transformer has extremely low leakage inductance.

Can I expect my device to operate in the same fashion?
Thanks for any reply

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You need to provide a lot more info. First of all, are you sure you want it to operate at just 100Hz? That seems way too low.
You should say what your input and output voltages are, and what average output current you want. A schematic of your circuit would be nice too.

airplane100000

Joined Aug 2, 2016
You need to provide a lot more info. First of all, are you sure you want it to operate at just 100Hz? That seems way too low.
You should say what your input and output voltages are, and what average output current you want. A schematic of your circuit would be nice too.
Yes, I'm sure I want to operate it at 100hz. It works perfectly at the moment. Isn't the working frequency really just a factor of the inductances? So shouldn't the two transformers work in the same manner....
The working voltages and currents are within the limits of both transformers. The secondary and primary will share a ground.
Just curious as to what factors could make a difference in a flyback converter.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
The voltage and frequency do matter a lot. Because with high voltage and long on-time you will get to very high peak current in the primary, which will saturate the transformer since the core is very small. This means that you will get horrible efficiency and not very good results.