Difference Between traditional APS and SMPS baised APS/UPS

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Hi all,

I want to ask about the main advantages/disadvantages of both traditional APS (I mean with traditional the ones using bulky transformers..) and SMPS baised ones (with charger). I want to use one for an office, and thinking to use an 2kW smps inverter with charger for home. Any idea or any suggestion is appreciated.

Regards,
Hazim

SMPS Inverter

APS

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Thank you.
I have read about switch mode power supplies, their types and principles... after I discovered this type of voltage regulators from several months :)
I understand the many advantages an smps regulator have.. but hear I'm asking even though I have a conviction in choosing smps and not linear. Here most people (more than 90%) use linear ABS and I can't understand why they don't use smps types.

For now let me ask you about these small 1000W inverters, can they really hold 1000W?? they look to be 100W..

I have one more question. In linear inverters they still use power BJTs a lot, mostly 2N3055, sure these require big heatsinks.. Using power MOSFETs will reduce the heat very much and therefore the inverter's efficiency increases, right? can't power BJTs be replaced with power MOSFETs considering the power requirements and electrical characteristics of the transistors?

Regards,
Hazim