difference between these graphs

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by s3b4k, Jun 11, 2011.

1. s3b4k

Thread Starter Member

Feb 15, 2010
    does anyone know whats the difference between these two and what is this alteration, like the first 1000 samples are the same but the rest is diffrent and what should i do to make these two look very similar to each other, i applied low pass, bandpass, bandreject and high pass and it doesnt change the shape of the signal. Also when i plot in frequency domain the second signal has a much high magnitude then the original

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Did you have a close look at the signals?

[​IMG]

In the second graph there are pretty stong pulses.

Bertus

3. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Have you tried subtracting one from the other to see what the difference is?

s3b4k likes this.
  4. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Apply the same filter you'd use to make a 1956 Buick look like a 2009 Corvette. :p

Sorry, couldn't help being flippant -- but those signals are distinctly different. What gives you the idea that one can be (easily) converted into the other via filtering? If this is a homework assignment, you should fully state the problem.

5. s3b4k

Thread Starter Member

Feb 15, 2010
    okay i subtracted the two graphs and they look the same except one is shifted 1000 samples, does anyone know how i can shift the graph to the left 1000 samples in matlab. should i convolve it with a delta function? here is a picture third one is the two top graphs subtracted each other.

edit i managed to shift the signal to the left using a for loop, now 1000 samples at the end are gone how do i get those

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  6. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Don't know if this is helpful, but I think this is a block diagram of what I see in post #5.