difference between l293d and l293dne motor driver ic

ankita061

Joined Feb 8, 2016
hi,
i want to control movement of my robot through motor driver ic. when i am using l293dne(texas instruments) its not working at all but when i am using l293d(st) its perfectly working. can you tell me why this problem is arising.:(

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What clues can you find in the datasheet about the differences?
As near as I can tell the DNE suffix just tells you it is the higher current model in the PDIP package and is ROHS compliant.
Who did you buy the parts from? Unscrupulous vendors sell plastic packages with empty leadframes to unsuspecting hobbyists all the time.

Last edited:

ankita061

Joined Feb 8, 2016
L293DNE datasheet i didn't get. all i get L293D datasheet.but for testing when i used to rotate 5v motor,those are rotating but 12 v is not rotating.i got these ics from local eletronics shop

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't know. Unless you can provide pictures of the packages or convince us you bought them from a reliable supplier my assumption is you have counterfeit parts or parts with an empty leadframe and no silicon inside.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sometimes the "D" at the end of the part number means there are back-EMF diodes on the driver outputs.
Not in this case. The D in the suffix is a higher current part, IIRC 600 mA.
In any case he is asking about the difference between STMicro L293D, and TI L293DNE. The additional NE just specifies the PDIP package that is Lead Freee and ROHS 2006 compliant. It doesn't explain why the ST parts work and the TI parts don't.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Not in this case. The D in the suffix is a higher current part, IIRC 600 mA.
A look at the data sheet for the STMicro L293D shows prtotection diodes in the output. The data sheet for the TI L293DNE says:
"Output diodes are internal in L293D."

So... both parts seem to have the output protection diodes. So much for my theory for what the difference might be. :(