difference between ac and rms ac

embpic

Joined May 29, 2013
what is difference between Normal ac and rms ac???
In India,in home which voltage is in board? whether simple ac or rms ac??

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
Check the top of your page of this forum. Free downloads that will explain every question you may have. VOL.I - DC, VOL.II - AC etc.

Your utility power is measured as r.m.s. AC, but contain peak AC etc. Depends what you want to measure. Usually the voltage that you measure on a good meter, will be r.m.s. value. Please read/study the difference from the free downloads.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Rms (root mean square) is simply a measure of the effective voltage of the (normal) AC found in your home.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hope you follow what all the others have said.

The AC voltage coming into your home is a basic sine wave signal. There is no difference between what you call "normal ac" and "rms ac".

The RMS value is simply the number that is a measure of the amplitude of the signal.

RMS stands for root mean square of the signal.

It is the square root of the average voltage x voltage, i.e. the voltage squared.

Why do we do this?

Because voltage x voltage represents power, the RMS voltage is the value of a DC voltage that would have the same power as the AC voltage.

Hence when comparing voltages of different waveforms and shapes, comparing the RMS value is a fair comparison with respect to power.

The answer is in the cards or how expensive the AC voltmeter is.

non-TRMS meters use an averaging technique and they multiply the result by a "fudge factor" so it reads RMS for a sine wave input only with a certain frequency range.

TRMS meters use other techniques that do measure the effective DC voltage for almost any waveform. This function has been easier and cheaper to do as technology has advanced, TRMS has a specific mathematical definition.

Without a TRMS meter the voltage measured at the output of an electric light dimmer would not be RMS.

The current drawn from a PC power supply will not be sinusoidal.

P=v*I or Power = voltage * Current is ONLY VALID for resistive loads.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not necessarily, Wiki definition.
In mathematics, the root mean square, also known as the quadratic mean, is a
statistical measure of the magnitude of a varying quantity.
Saw tooth, square wave, sine wave etc.
Max.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
"RMS" is a term applied to a measurement to indicate it is time-averaged, as opposed to instantaneous or peak. Integration of a sine wave over time shows that the time-average voltage is the peak voltage divided by 1.41. This time-averaged voltage is also referred to as RMS or root-mean-square. Any voltage profile can be integrated or averaged over time, but only for certain waveforms, including sine, would you technically call this a root-mean-square.

[edit] After some reading, I'm less certain there is any distinction between RMS and the integrated time-average voltage. I would have sworn learning there was, but I can't see it.

Last edited:
If RMS(any wave) = 120 and lets say R=10, then P=(120^2)/10
so, we can say 120 DC generated the same power as 120 V RMS into a 10 ohm load.

It's also true that 10 VDC = 10 VRMS, BUT we generally think of taking the RMS value of a time varying signal. Those TRMS meters may have options of TRMS(ac) and TRMS(ac+dc).

The proper name for the AC meters that are non TRMS is average responding, TRMS reading. Those meters basically precision rectify and average and multiply by a fudge factor. That fudge factor assumes the input is a sine wave.

waynah said:
Any voltage profile can be integrated or averaged over time, but only for certain waveforms, including sine, would you technically call this a root-mean-square.]/quote]

Huh? Unless you mean that the crest factor limits accuracy of some methods which it does.

Technically the average of a sine wave is a big fat zero.

No Biggie: Root = square root. Mean = another name for average; Square - like x^2

So, RMS is the square root of the square of the average voltage.

We all know that the average of say 12 is 12. and that the sqrt(12^2) is 12. so that;s how the RMS of 12 becomes 12.

now for a sine wave it's more difficult 1/(b-a)/2 * integral of then sin(wt) from 0 to PI; a= PI and b = 0.

Which is the definite integral or area under the curve evaluated at between the two endpoints divided by 2.

A non TRMS essentially precision rectifies which is like squaring and a capacitor filter is like averaging, so you get something like ave(k*v(t)^2) where k makes the sin wave read RMS. The input is also AC coupled.

Maybe this will help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_RMS_converter

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Not the same.

The average voltage of an AC sine wave = zero.

The square of the average voltage of AC sine wave = zero.

The average of a sine wave voltage squared = RMS squared.

I won't argue, but it just "depends on where you put the parenthesis"

So, the only way to describe it, is to use the mathematical definition and not words. It's like the glass half full or half empty problem.

I know what RMS is. You know what RMS is. Maybe your description is words is better. Maybe I like Reverse Polish Notation and you like Algebraic. BTW, I do like RPN.

v(t)
Push Square
Push Average
Push Sqrt

Happy now or do I need to do the LATEX representation?