Difference between a mono plug & stereo plug?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cdpaw, Mar 23, 2010.

1. cdpaw

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I'm obviously a novice. I am looking to replace a plug from an xbox Rockband drum...I do not know if it mono or stereo because it is caring data...or maybe it is sound since its from a drum. (part of a bigger project)

Can I use either?
    Do stereo plugs have 2 lines on the (about a 1/4" from the) tip and mono have 1 line?
    Is there ever problems from having too long of a cord?

How do you "Thank" a post, I thanked the answer but it didn't show in the "Thank" count...?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    cdpaw likes this.
  3. cdpaw

Mar 23, 2010
    I read the article. The original uses mono. I already bought stereo extensions and splitters. From the article the extensions should work. But being that I am using splitter I'll have to run it through some tests because I'm not sure. I don't think left or right should matter if going into a drum machine "brain". It said it should use TRS and I think TRRS is stereo...but we shall see...

Who knew a simple wire could be so complicated?

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    "Baby, chew ain't seen nufin yet!" ;)

5. cdpaw

Mar 23, 2010
    Yah, now I'm working on the leads. I am trying to get 10 wires fed into 1 wire. I went to radio shack, they had some bars with 10 sets of screws but I didn't see what it was for, I didn't see any that came out. I found one with springs that I could solder to one that had 5 on 1 side and 1 on the other. I guess that thats best I could do. I did not ask the guys, I was not confident they could help.