Diet Coke V Normal Water

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You know how margarine got started, right?

It was the Great Depression, and butter was expensive. Crisco was not as expensive, so a company came out with a yellow power that was salty to add to Crisco. Neat, huh!

No? Oh well, to each their own. My Mom passed that tidbit on. Salty yellow Crisco is better than nothing.

Seriously, I'm glad to see hydrogenated oils go by the side.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Mr. Chips,you have Loosewire for company,living the good life.We have few

things in common.Parades,public speaking or interest,bike riding,and getting out in

the world. Living our message for others to see,the good life. I will let you address

the never to late to change,that would come better from you.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Diet soda's are turning out to be worse for you everyday we research them. I know they just released a paper this week linking it to cancer, and all these bad things. Who would of ever though chemically engineered suger wouldn't be as good as the real thing?

The problem here is the phrase “DIET COKE.” You never hear of Pepsi people with these issues!

Look at these buzzwords and phrases:
* The X-Factor!
* The choice of the NEW generation!
* Weekends and weekdays go better with an ice cold Pepsi!

Just the company name sounds better – rolls right off the tongue: PepsiCo.
There are more pretty colors on the Pepsi can!
When opening a Pepsi, you can feel the whoosh of the delight emanating!
Pepsi drinkers hide their beverage in the ‘fridge, Coke folks, in the open!

Besides, any company that makes Quaker Oatmeal has got to be right, don’t you agree?

Just say "Pepsi please!"

:) joe

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Diet soda's are turning out to be worse for you everyday we research them. I know they just released a paper this week linking it to cancer, and all these bad things. Who would of ever though chemically engineered suger wouldn't be as good as the real thing?
Reference please?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Context is important,

http://news.yahoo.com/daily-diet-soda-may-increase-risk-heart-attack-021403608.html

Although the researchers, whose work appeared in the Journal of General Internal Medicine, found that older adults who drank diet soda every day were 44 percent more likely to suffer a heart attack, their research did not prove that the sugar-free drinks alone were to blame.

There may be other things about diet-soda lovers that explain the connection, said lead researcher Hannah Gardener, of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, and her team.

"What we saw was an association. These people may tend to have more unhealthy habits," she said.

She and her colleagues tried to account for that, noting that daily diet-soda drinkers did tend to be heavier and more often have heart risk factors such as high blood pressure, diabetes and unhealthy cholesterol levels.
You may be putting the cart before the horse. I drink diet because I have high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, yadda yadda. It is pretty much assumed I am at much higher risk because of the pre-existing conditions. Read the article about the research, the study was poorly designed, or they would be able to rule out the preexisting conditions.

If I drank the sugared stuff I would already be dead. For me, sugar is a much more lethal poison.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I was about to say the same thing Bill (that people with heart conditions would be much more likely to be drinking diet), statistics have a habit of doing that hey?

Statistics from the general population are not to be trusted as proof of any single concept, as uncontrolled studies (like general population) have an enormous amout of biased variables.

I drink both sugared and diet soda from time to time, but really drinking liquid sugar is a massive health risk too due to its very high absorbtion to blood sugar (very low GI) which is definitely linked to heart issues, diabetes and overweight.

Caffeine too is also bad for your heart, it causes increased blood pressure and dehydration and increases stress levels. So that rules out tea and coffee.

So all drinks; diet, sugar, tea, coffee are all really bad for you, so you drink water...

Now have you seen what they put in water and what that stuff does to you... :eek: ! ;)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've had my suspicions of such. A common attitude with many people is it is our fault without knowing all the facts. In many cases the chemical industries actively tries to cover up the facts, fearing small reductions in profit margins. I have run into it on this site.

Then there are the other causes, such as adding tetracycline and other antibiotics for the sole purpose in increasing the weight of cattle. This one hits close to home, as we had a minor ranching operation when I was finishing growing up. My parents didn't do this, but I knew people who did. It addition to destroying a really useful antibiotic and promoting antibiotic resistant microbes that substance doesn't go away just because you eat your steaks well done (which I don't).

When I was very young my family knew this woman who was starving herself, and still obese. She shook all the time from hunger, and was in real misery. Then they found her thyroid problem, it was like a ray of heaven to this poor person.

Fact is, the subject is very complex. This may be the plague of the 20th and 21st centuries, to be looked back on with wonder as to how we could have been so stupid. Hindsight is usually not kind.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
All good points but I'm not going to rule out good old calorie intake vs energy expenditure.

Just as one factual example from my childhood, less people had cars and we walked to school or walked some distance to catch the school bus. After school entertainment consisted of walking to a friends place, riding a bike, kicking ball, building a treehouse etc.

These days kids are driven from their doorstep to the school door, then in lunch break they sit and play with some pocket electronic game, then they are driven home to their doorstep and spend the rest of the evening sitting in front of the TV/PC/PS2/XBOX or any other type of box.

And when I was a kid (1970's) we ate less food, and took a sandwich to school (yes that's TWO slices of bread, plus maybe an apple as a school lunch). And drank tapwater from the school bubbler and taps.

I'm not going to blame too much on toxins or food additives when there is such an overwhelming evidence of a massive decrease in calories people burn and such a massive increase in calories that they now eat.

Actually it's surprising that people today are not fatter than they are. I guess they poop out a lot of calories too...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There was a study done on puffed rice vs regular rice. Same quantity of calories, but the preprocessed food was easier to digest, and so was more fattening. Eating hard to digest food also makes a difference.

The other article in Mr. Chips posted also mentioned babies though, the fact they are also getting permanently obese at several months. Hard to ignore....

As with thyroid conditions there are diseases that strongly influence body weight. metabolism is also a strong factor, and that is partly genetic, partly exercise, and partly other. The other is what is interesting.

The formula is not as simple as those would like to claim, or as basic. As with the babies obesity epidemic, there is a lot of evidence adding up to suggest we are missing something important, and are doing this to ourselves.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Sure, I read MrChips' link and the baby weight thing is interesting.

Part of that is we are softer and more spoilt now (ie people feed babies the instant they squawk) rather than budget with babyfood and even make decisions "has my baby eaten enough already today?".

Then modern babyfoods are designed for big weight gain, not a conspiracy as such but deliberately containing weight gain ingredients.

From what I remember of baby feeding my my childhood people would give the baby plain milk or powdered milk, maybe some bread dipped in milk or baby food that was just stewed vegies. They didn't have all these high tech super weight gain baby foods.

Plus more people breastfed the babies and there is some evidence that mother's milk adapts to the babies needs (some homonal/pheremone thing?) so that those babies were likely less fat than babies today who are fed super weight-gain foods.

And yes I do agree some of the components in our food today produce lazyness and weight gain even though they are not specifically weight gain ingredients.

I spent some years in bodybuilding and watched people trim their bodyfat levels very precisely, or control overall weight gain/loss very precisely, all through calorie intake and calorie burning. And regardless of food types or food additives that have some hormonal or metabolic effects the formula for being overweight is still largely determined by energy in vs energy out.

Neyolight

Joined Dec 13, 2011
OMG, I was away for a while and had no clue my topic has initiated such intense talk on Diet Coke ! :D

Well I'm quitting Coke now ! I use to consume a full glass with my lunch a month ago and now I have reduced it to 1/4th of the glass. Soon I will quit it completely.

I will stay away from chemicals ! Period !

Neyolight

Joined Dec 13, 2011
I had a good read of all the posts and that slightly got me worried.

I shifted to "Sugar free" from normal sugar about 2 years ago. Today, I don't eat sugar at all. This is excluding sugar in its natural form found in fruits and honey. Now that I know its all artificial stuff I feel like going back to natural sugar and wonder why do we have all these artificial, unhealthy and HARMFUL stuff in market. Shouldn't the government BAN all these products?

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Why stop honey? Honey has many benefits, just stick with organic, non-pasteurized and glass jars :)

The obesity topic is too huge to address. I firmly believe that western diet is responsible for most of the changes that are seen now in kids, these have already been passed through from their parents. For me it is an observation as I grew up without fast food, microwaves or tupperware (BPA anyone?). Here, several generations of people cannot remember days without it.

A huge step in the wrong direction is diagnosing everything as a disorder and treating it as such with no prevention or look at underlying causes, this also gives people the freedom to say that they are not responsible for their own health, I find this situation very sad. The search for a quick fix for everything is one long nightmare which no-one wants to stop, of course it is money for so many industries...

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
When I was very young my family knew this woman who was starving herself, and still obese. She shook all the time from hunger, and was in real misery. Then they found her thyroid problem, it was like a ray of heaven to this poor person.

Fact is, the subject is very complex. This may be the plague of the 20th and 21st centuries, to be looked back on with wonder as to how we could have been so stupid. Hindsight is usually not kind.
I have a similar issue. I can eat almost nothing and I don't loose weight. I'm not starving or anything. Longest I've been without eating was 23 days. Doctors say since I had a sick stomach when I wake up naturally I can't eat till lunch or late afternoon. Then my stomach feels ok to eat. Its been like this my whole life. Well since my whole life I've waken up and not eaten for hours and hours then eat. My body is in a starvation metabalism so every calorie I eat is used or stored. I try to eat in the mornings and have my good days and bad days but metabalism has a lot to do with how much you eat vs weight gain or loss.

About the cattle the worst thing I always feared was when they were putting growth hormone in the cattle. I fully believe theres a scientific reason 16 year old girls now look in their mid 20's. My friends got a daughter in 10th grade and my lord the girls didn't look like that when I was a kid.Then again kids getting boob jobs and platic surgery is norm now so who knows?