Dielectric oil

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by inwo, Feb 5, 2014.

1. inwo

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Got a call from the city today looking for type 3G dielectric oil.

I have transformer oil here.

I've been searching and have a few calls in.

The use is for lift station submersible pump.
    Motor space is filled with oil.
    Much like a ac compressor I guess.

Maybe #12 knows about this.

There doesn't seem to be much difference between the oils. Just labeling.

All mineral oil.

Will I be safe using oil labeled only as "transformer oil" in a sump pump?

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I have done it a few times, transformer oil is used in VHV transformers, so a 120vac sump pump should be adequate?
    Although I see 'Lift Station' but still, the application should be the same, although the voltage is higher.
    Max.

inwo likes this.
  3. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    This 240 3PH on a vfd, but still low voltage.

I'm worried about viscosity or lubrication qualities.

I have enough here. Left over from my tesla capacitor build.

Got a call returned from a big oil and chemical supplier with no help.:(

I think I'll search specifically for pump oil.

4. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Found this.

"sump pumps and older oil cooled submersible pump motors have 3gs refrigeration oil in them...you can get this at any pump repair shop or refrigeration suppliers such as johnstone supply or ww grainger..be sure that you do not fill it full as it needs room to expand as it get hot...about 3/4 full will do"

Funny the "oil" guy never heard of "3G" oil.:rolleyes:

On to Granger I guess!

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I don't know. Type, "3G" should be the defining label. I do know that mineral oil is used in the sumps of air conditioning compressors running on 240 VAC. They are hermetically sealed and so have no risk of absorbing atmospheric moisture. The oils used for R410 refrigerant are hygroscopic. Obviously the wrong choice. Anyway, "hygroscopic" is a critical factor. You need an oil that has no affinity for moisture.

inwo likes this.
  6. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    I put Air Tool oil in an Air compressor. The funny thing is they needed a reason to let me go.

Based on that, they said it was incorrect and was irresponsible. I didn't argue and found it funny that the guy above me didn't know his oils.

The reality and not in this case is that Air Tool oil is rated at 7000 hrs and has no detergents. Most air compressor oil is 20 to 30 weight or there about, the critical part is no detergents. But air tool oil is less expensive and would have out lived the regular oil and saved money for the company lol, what do I know.

Yes, Refrigeration oil is Mineral oil.

Edit: Even the odd part is my superior directed me to use it. I didn't have a problem with it. lol hello, why would I ?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  7. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Thanks all...............

Information is hard to come by.
    It all seems about the same. Repackaged for varied uses.

My brother had a 55gal drum of full synthetic "ultron 150compressor oil".

It gets some hits on google but nothing as far as suitability for my use.:(

Close enough for me!:)

I just saw the pump and it doesn't look like a high dollar item. Just a couple steps up from a residential sump pump. 120vac plug.
    When they called I thought it was the big pump on vfd that I've worked on before.

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I have a couple of small sump pumps I refilled with 'transformer oil' and they have been running for ~10yrs or so.
    Max.

inwo likes this.
  9. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Now that's good info.:D

I should have followed my instincts and given them the 1/2gal that I had, rather than research half a day.:rolleyes:

10. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I have a few old sump pumps that have been running with common Dexron Mercon ATF oil in them for more years than I can remember.

Last time I had one apart to replace the ripped out power cord every winding and component looked like the day it was made! :)