Did you call me?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tracecom, Jun 29, 2014.

1. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Do you return every call that shows up on your call ID? If so, why???

I just tried to call someone, doubled one of the last two digits, and thus dialed the wrong number. I realized my mistake before I even heard ringback tone, but apparently my number showed up on his caller ID. He called me, and said, "Did you call me?" What's the point with that?

Personally, I don't return any call from anyone whose number I don't recognize unless they leave a message. In fact, I don't even answer most calls from numbers I don't recognize unless they are local to me.

Rant over!

2. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    There is another very good reason not to call weird numbers in your caller ID log...

The Better Business Bureau recently issued a fraud alert for the "one ring scam" after being contacted by people all across the country. Here's how it works.

The scammers use automatic dialers to randomly call phone numbers. After the first ring, they disconnect. The bad guys hope you'll see that number in your missed call log and be curious enough to return it.

Make that call and they've got you.

You'll be connected to an expensive international hotline—usually an "adult entertainment" service—that charges as much as $19.95 as soon as you connect. There may also be a sizable per-minute fee. Those costs typically show up on your phone bill as "premium services."

3. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Well being unemployed and having poor cell service at my home, I do call people back. Could be the next job opportunity. But my situation is unique. Normally, I'd ignore the call.

4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Nope, I only return the call if they leave a message and ask me to call them back. Otherwise I just ignore it.

5. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I get several calls each day between seeking contract jobs and my other businesses. I assume every call might be important, so I do return all calls. Often, there is some kind of glitch which prevents calls from connecting, due to increased use of cell phones.

6. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008

You certainly have a catch - 22 situation, since a call log, never indicates whether it was a one-ringer...

7. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Personally I hate answering the phone regardless of who is calling.

Caller ID and message or not the odds are I probably won't call you back either. :D

If you can't leave a message saying exactly why or what for you called you definitely will never get a call back from me.;)

shortbus likes this.
  8. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Yeah, I had forgotten how it is to be job hunting. Maybe that's the case with the guy I called by mistake. Still, his attitude was kind of surly: "You dialed the wrong number," as if I didn't know it. Just me, I guess.

9. happyganl

Dec 17, 2009
    I will call back if ring ever lasted above 10seconds:)

10. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    I bought a 2010 GMC truck last Feb, it has satellite radio built into the factory radio. In March I started getting calls on my landline, always a hangup. The calls that came while I was working left no voicemail message.
    We finally connected after a month of that crap, it was Sirius Radio wanting me to renew my contract with them. Before I told them I had no interest in the service, I inquired why they hung up on all the other calls. All I got for a response was a bunch of excuses, bad phones, bad lines, etc..
    I told them I didn't want the service, and the radio was no longer in the truck as it is being used for law enforcement.
    The calls finally stopped.
    Until 2 weeks ago when they started back on my cell phone. All hangups, Googled the number and it's in NJ. My wife went online for Sirius and found a box to check for "never call me again, I don't want your @#$%"..Or something to that effect.
    My whole point is some companies are relentless with the calls, and scruples are non existent.

PackratKing likes this.
  11. Sinus23

Sep 7, 2013
    Well I got called by 4 different numbers which after some research came most likely from China and apparently from different regions still could not find by who or what company. Only once did I answer and was hung up on in a 1/2 a second. This just happened this week. I ain't calling back :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  12. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Keep an eye on your phone bill...

13. Sinus23

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi Packratking.

It was your first comment in the thread that made me write mine but I got an error message when trying to quote you.(It was that I needed more then 10 letters to make a comment if anyone is wondering)

The funny thing is that the number they/it called is a pre-paid number so I don't get phone bills :D

14. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A quote does not count to the character limit to post. You have to have a sentence with the quote.

15. Sinus23

Sep 7, 2013
    Thanks Bill. It makes sense.

Carry on.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  16. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    I haven't gotten any calls like this in awhile, but for many years they were very common.

I answer the phone and the caller immediately asks, "Who am I speaking to?"

In reply I say, "This is the person you are calling. Do you know who you are calling?"

Most just hung up at this point, but some would try and BS their way further into a conversation. Going immediately into their script and trying to push whatever product of the moment(usually it was credit card offers but since the bank crash the calls have stopped). This is where I would offer up a helpful 'Uh-huh, yes' at the proper pause. They would happily continue where-upon, I would lay the phone down and come back to hang it up 15 min. or so later.

:)

Just last year I changed my phone number(cellular) when I upgraded to a different carrier. I started getting calls for another person(bill collectors) and one call in particular was funny. The person insisted I tell them where his target person was, and tried to reason with me that since I answered the number he had for this person, I MUST know where said person was. I grew tired of trying to explain how a new number worked, and just blocked the calls.

17. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    In the past 2 days got 3 calls from 765-866-0572.. One ring and a hangup, no message left. How does that accomplish anything, unless they expect me to call them back to see what they want.
    And that ain't gonna happen...

18. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    (765)866-0572 is James L Lewis from Crawfordsville, IL. Either he has a wrong number, or someone is using a telephone anonymizer service or caller I'd spoofing. Like this link http://www.teleturd.com

19. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Did you do a reverse phone look-up?

765-866-0572
    James L Lewis (65+)
    Marilyn I Lewis (65+)
    5095 S 100 W
    Crawfordsville, IN 47933-8249

20. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    When I moved to down here and changed my phone number, I too, received calls from bill collectors and an assortment of other calls for the person who previously owned the number.

One was insistent that I fax them something that I was the new owner of the number, and I got real irate with them. They had called at least a half-dozen times before I got irate. The first time, they said they would correct their record. The second time, they said they would correct their record. The third time, I asked for their supervisor, who said they would correct their record. After that I just got more and more irate with them, cussing them out or threating legal action before they got the message.

The reason I am posting, is because I went to a store to buy something. When the store asked for my number, guess who's name popped up? The person who previously had my number. I started laughing and said, I recognize that deadbeat's name. I've been getting calls from bill collectors looking for her.

Such a twist of fate.