Did I blow up my adapter ?

Avenyr

Joined Jan 19, 2010
So I bought a 3Com 120V AC 60hz 22W to 24V DC 600mA and also bought a 2.5mm mono jack for a device that requires a positive tip 24V DC adapter.

I made sure the readings were less than 25V before soldering the jack. It was around 19-20V.

After soldering the jack, the voltage output was less than 0.5V...

I removed the soldered jack and tested the power adapter directly and the reading on the cables are still less than 0.5V

I didn't notice and weird smell, the power adapter does not get any hotter than it should be I don't understand what happened or what to do with this.

Any idea ?

Thanks !

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It could be that a fuse inside the adapter is blown.
This could be done by making a short in the jack.

Greetings,
Bertus

knowitall

Joined Jan 10, 2010
If you shorted the two wires even for a short time on a 24V 600 ma adapt. you probably overloaded the single diode off the Xfmr. in which case its shorted ( the diode ), measure the output of the adapt. using the A.C. range on your multi-meter, If it measures aprox. 24 Vac then break open that bad boy and replace the diode with any generic replacment diode.
You could also measure for continuity on the two wires, if the diode is O.K. you should find continuity One way, if in both directions, the diode is bad, shorted, do this test with the adapt. un plugged. of course.

Also remember that when inserting a plug as you have described it will short as the plug is inserted into the receptical, so un plug the adapt. before energizing your target device.

Last edited:

S_lannan

Joined Jun 20, 2007
If you had it running while you were soldering the jack, you may have shorted it to ground as the tip of the soldering iron is connected to ground.