dictionary device using microcontroller

pacific85

Joined Sep 2, 2008
hi everyone well i m new in this site n at present i m doing my engineering last year..
well i m newbie in microcontroller n i m intersted in it. basic idea of microcontroller that i studied..so i wanna know that can we make electronic dictionary using microccontroller ???? well i know that controller has limited external memory so cn we implement this idea???

my basic idea is that word which we want to know meaning of tht input by key and and the database that we stored in external memory will execute n we can see result on LCD.. still i dnt know much more but if this can be implemented then give me suggestion....

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
It can be done but the uC would have to access external memory such as an eeprom, memory card or hard drive.

The result could be displayed on an LCD display.

It is possible to interface a PC keyboard to a uC so inputting the word should not be difficult.

Ideally you should find an electronic dictionary database that can be modified to suit the application and storage medium.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Things you might wish to consider is the precise nature of each definition. You won't have to be concerned with transmission in a readable format, so you are free to devise a more efficient text encoding than ASCII. Still, the number of terms defined and the size of each definition will be the primary constraints on the design of the device.

pacific85

Joined Sep 2, 2008
It can be done but the uC would have to access external memory such as an eeprom, memory card or hard drive.

The result could be displayed on an LCD display.

It is possible to interface a PC keyboard to a uC so inputting the word should not be difficult.

Ideally you should find an electronic dictionary database that can be modified to suit the application and storage medium.
thanks u for suggestion ...well if u have any links related to this topic tha can help me to start my project pls send it...

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
If you search on some of the Microchip PIC sites and forums you will find information on interfacing to LCDs, PC keyboards and memory devices.

A lot of thought needs to go into the dictionary database and efficient search algorithms. You'll also need to know the size of the database before choosing the storage media.

Last edited: