Devices That Keep Correct Time For You

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
How many devises do you have that keep correct time
for you. The one's you use everyday and the one's not
in use laying around. Beware of information being stored
or transmitted like lo-jack. I would add containers that
to that list. When you purchase something does
the commerce law have fineprint to from the seller.
The commerce law that control's any thing that cross's
a state line or your state line from another country.
So that gps could know the things you use so they can
make more, and control your weight and health.Addict
you to a product.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Are you suggesting that when I use my loyalty card at my local supermarket to get 0.2% off my next purchase that the store is actually tracking my purchases and preferences? I'm shocked. Totally.

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Much more ,only you know your exposure.Do you care. You didn't
address all those thing that keep correct time for you. The electronic
calandar on your desk and more thing you would have think about.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Loosewire, I have only one thing that keeps time, a Timex wristwatch. Same model for the last 40 years. I buy several at a time and replace them whenever the battery runs out. No transponder or secret bug is included. John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What about your cell phone,and family stuff.
What cell phone? Don't have one and can't stand people who use them everywhere. A neat game I play when a woman is using one at the store is to stay just close enough so she thinks I am listening. You know the type. The one who stands in the isle or at the cash register, oblivious to the flow, other customers' needs to reach products, and the need to get past her.

John

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
A neat game I play when a woman is using one at the store is to stay just close enough so she thinks I am listening. You know the type. The one who stands in the isle or at the cash register, oblivious to the flow, other customers' needs to reach products, and the need to get past her.

John
I knew there was a reason I liked you!:p

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I lost the battle of the cell phone. Didn't want one, but had to for DeMolay of all things. However, I did not get a contract. I pay $100/6 months, and am going to go to a $100/year plan. I do not use a 1K minutes per that time period, so I'll end up with the cheaper plan.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Actually, I exaggerated just to make a point with Loosewire. I do have a pay as you go cell. It stays in the car and turned off. No one, not even I know its number. How else are you going to call AAA when you need to? Ever try to find a pay phone within walking distance of a freeway? I had to. That's when I bought the phone.

John

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Are you suggesting that when I use my loyalty card at my local supermarket to get 0.2% off my next purchase that the store is actually tracking my purchases and preferences? I'm shocked. Totally.

John
I keep telling people this. They wouldn't offer the loyalty card if you didn't spend more with it.

My Linux laptop sets time automatically over the internet each hour (by NTP) and I synchronise my watch every few months but it typically drifts by less than 20 seconds per year (the manual states so) so it's not really crucial.

jpanhalt said:
Actually, I exaggerated just to make a point with Loosewire. I do have a pay as you go cell. It stays in the car and turned off. No one, not even I know its number. How else are you going to call AAA when you need to? Ever try to find a pay phone within walking distance of a freeway? I had to. That's when I bought the phone.
Me too, I have a phone but it is turned off often and pay as you go. I chose it due the lack of features. The most advanced thing it has is a colour screen and its battery life is greater than the time to the heat death of the universe.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Old fashioned WWV clock. Oregon Scientific makes some nice units with radios or weather stations. I use this model at home:
http://www2.oregonscientific.com/ulimages/manuals2/BAR609HGA.pdf

We used WWV to sync decoding machines when at sea long ago (1970s). It usually was good to +-0.5 seconds but you still had to manual fine tune the sync clock for perfect timing.

Fleet Radiomen, and those stationed in the shore transmitting stations, had to listen to an HF signal for coordinated universal time. Radiomen called this broadcast the "time tick," which gave them a sharp tone, signalling them to press the restart button so that the unit could then start up for "new day" or otherwise known as "HJ's" by the Radiomen. This took place after the new day's crypto keylist card was properly inserted into the "crib" or the card reader by securing it onto pins and then firmly closing the card access door and then locking it with a key.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KW-37
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_clock
http://www.nist.gov/customcf/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=903649

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Friday nite they still have live bands,and plently of livewires
with one purpose,to get some fool to get them on u-tube.
All the livewires have these new phones that do every thing
other than..... is watching me walk the line. You guys don,t
have any good fun,those new picture phones are every where.
If you have any talent,they will want to do pictures.I didn't
come out from under a rock.You guys must get some exposure.
Tell me about your fun,you play that ragtime you must be having fun.
What say you guys.

Back on topic--Timeing "De" vice.

Last edited: