Device programmer for Maxim's DS89C450 MCU

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm planning on acquiring a DS89C450 Maxim MCU to start experimenting with it. But the problem is that I own an obsolete parallel port interfaced Chipmax device programmer, but it doesn't support that kind of chip.

Is there any other device programmer out there that supports this chip? I'm trying to avoid using ISP, because although it's quite practical, it's also very slow. I'll probably be using that feature only for minor tweaks, but not for development purposes.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
'fraid not... every manufacturer has different programming specs
Maxim says you can do 57 kbits/s (about 7 kBytes/s) with RS232 programming circuit. And you got total of 64 kB on the chip, 10-11 seconds to load the program. It will take you longer to move the chip from the socket on dedicated programmer to the breadboard and plug it into the board.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Maxim says you can do 57 kbits/s (about 7 kBytes/s) with RS232 programming circuit. And you got total of 64 kB on the chip, 10-11 seconds to load the program. It will take you longer to move the chip from the socket on dedicated programmer to the breadboard and plug it into the board.
Interesting... I was so busy looking for a device programmer that I hadn't looked into that.
Thanks for the tip!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/137 about using 22 MHz clock crystal in order to have faster baud rate. According to that the crystal needs to have 3% or better accuracy.
Thanks, but I've been using 14.7456 Mhz crystals (and multiples of that frequency) for quite a while to obtain exact baud rates. And they work in both old (12 clock cycles per basic instruction) and new generation 8051 architecture, which works at 1 clock cycle per instruction.

Last edited: