Device health monitoring circuits and systems

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by CircuitsExplorer, Jan 14, 2009.

1. CircuitsExplorer

Thread Starter Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Dear all,

May I know what are the recommended device health monitoring circuits or chips or methodology out there?

I do know about using INA138 for current sensing of health monitoring. However beside this, what are the available or maybe even better solution than this?

Thanks and best regards
    CircuitsExplorer

2. duffy

Dec 29, 2008
    Uh, "current sensing of health monitoring" - ? What are you talking about?

3. CircuitsExplorer

Thread Starter Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Current sensing of device health monitoring meaning, normally there's a range of current which a working device is requires, out of this range normally means the device is faulty, I have experienced this before.

Best regards
    CircuitsExplorer

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Do you mean "device" as in each and every component in a circuit, or "device" as in a household appliance?

Could you relate your experiences?

5. Bear_2759

May 23, 2008
    it all depends on what you want to monitor, i.e. voltage, current, if a frequency is within a specified range, the list goes on. might be an idea to let people know what you want to monitor specifically, or if you want to monitor all aspects of device "A". then you might get a few more responses ;).

Edit: sorry, it just clicked that you said current:D.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  6. Bear_2759

May 23, 2008
    have a look at the attached document. I did a quick search and this is what I found... they have plenty of example circuits and the advantages/disadvantages of each.

7. CircuitsExplorer

Thread Starter Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Dear all,

Thanks for the responses. The devices on the system are sub-system like:

-> laser sensors
    -> ultrasonic sensors
    -> cameras

So I was wondering what are the available options beside using current-sensing method to monitor the health of this devices.

Also, I have also gone through the attachment by bear briefly. I am particular interested in one of the circuits such as the battery monitor. However, with regards to this, I have some questions as well.

- If the battery I am using are Li-Ion batteries, can I actually use the LT6100 to monitor the capacity left in my battery?

- If the Li-Ion battery that I am using actually has a relatively flat voltage curve between 10% to 90% charge, can this LT6100 still be used?

Also, do you guys know anything about interfacing with SMBus and the SMART Li-Ion batteries. I have posted this somewhere, but no one seemed to be able to answer me. Basically does anyone knows:

- how to implement SMBus with SMART Li-Ion batteries or have the experience of doing this before?

- if yes, how is it actually done?

Thanks and best regards
    CircuitsExplorer

8. CircuitsExplorer

Thread Starter Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Dear all,

Anyone got any clues on the above?

Thanks and best regards
    CircuitsExplorer

9. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  10. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms790018.aspx

SMB is very similiar to I2C so you just need to get the commands and specification for the smart batttery.

laser - shoot it at something and see if it burns it -- heat sensor or light sensor to see the flames.
    ultrasonic sensors -- measure its response against a reference
    camera - have another camera take the same picture and compare the two pictures