Develop a Digital Energy Meter

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Ranger, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Ranger

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Hi all,
    I'm currently doing my FYP to develop a digital energy meter. But i have limited knowledge to design a digital energy meter. Would be very much appreciate if anyone could enlighten me how to start my design. Or any ready circuit available that will be more grateful.
    Million Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Ranger

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Can you tell us more about the energy that you wish to measure? What sensor do you plan on using? There is a vast difference between audio energy and gamma ray energy.

3. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    Ready circuit is the kill o watt, about 30 bucks designed and implemented. See google for "tweet a watt".

4. Ranger

Oct 26, 2009
    Thanks for all your reply and useful link.
    The digital energy meter i would like to measure is the kilowatt meter and is just a single phase with 230 V (L-N).

5. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    Have a look at energy meter ICs range from Analog Devices. There are many to choose from, with different interfaces and sensors. There are also examples circuits and application notes available.

6. Ranger

Oct 26, 2009
    Thanks for your info.
    The ADE is quite a solphiscated circuit, i just need a simple circuit to measure power Kw to store in the mocrocontroller and later either to send thru wireless or through the modem to the database.
    Thanks

7. tibbles

Jun 27, 2008
    hi ranger
    i wonder if you could use a clamp meter as your interface, these are cheap at the moment , 230 volt,uk ?
    this would eliminate the high voltage element of your project.
    as far as iknow these are analogue but should be possible to convert amps to digital

8. Ranger

Oct 26, 2009
    Hi,
    But I need to measure the power (kw) and then transmit either through serial comms or wireless signal.

9. Ranger

Oct 26, 2009
    Hi all,
    Not sure could anyone intersted build a digital energy meter for me? I willing to pay him for this project. Interested please send a mail to me at
    kssaks@hotmail.com for more detail.

Thanks....