Determining PSU turn on wireson 2500w Networking supply

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by RogueRose, May 5, 2015.

1. RogueRose

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I have what seems to be a very well built PSU meant for Cisco switches.It has 42v, 12v, and 3.3v outputs

I have a number of these supplies and would like to know if anyone may have some insight on how to determine which wire does what - such as a remote power on, a line that detects a load, etc. I've modded a lot PC and server PSU's but they were a little more straight forward than this. I have looked for a wiring diagram but found none.

The model is "cisco Milan Plus AC/DC) P/N 34-1535-02

Another model/manufacturer name may ArtesynP/N 7000056-0002

This device does 27.5/55.5A@42v (120 vs 240VAC)
    - 12A @ 12v (120 & 240vac)
    - 5A @5v (120 & 240vac)
    - 15A @ 3.3v (120 & 240vac)

The 8 large wires on either side of the 14 pin connector are all directly soldered onto the PCB. The 14 pin (output) connector is connected to the main PCB

When I plug it in I get a green light on the fan light and the input or output do not come up as failed. I think it is jut not sensing a load or equipment attached so it isn't getting past the "pre-boot".

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might go about figuring out which wire on the 14 pin does what? I am pretty sure on the red, orange,yellow and blacks (but could be mistaken).

I think I have access to the units this plugs into if that would help determine what the pins are.

I can post more pics if needed. Thanks for any insight on this matter!

Output connections

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Connection to main PCB

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Bernard likes this.
  3. RogueRose

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2014
  4. RogueRose

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I pulled the ATX connector from the main PCB and used a continuity test to probe every connection on the external connector. I am sure that the wires that plug into this external housing are only linked to the singularly until they plug into the external connector PCB where things start to get a little strange.

The reason I am posting this is because the some of the external connections seem to share multiple wires like Brown and Yellow or Red and Orange (which I thought was 5v and 3.3.

I have a few of these units, one is taken apart and the other is still together. I'd like to test the one that is still together but with the external connector sharing some wires gives me pause. I'd test the one thathas been taken apart but I don't want to short something or blow caps or whatever before I see if there are any suggestions on this.

Would a diagram of the switch chassis this unit plugs into be of benefit in figuring out how this supply works?

These wires are on order that they appear in this pic:
    [​IMG]

Grey = 13
    Brown = 6
    Blue = 11
    Green = 10
    Yellow = 9
    Black = 5 & 7
    Yellow = 16, 19, 24, 25
    Brown = 16, 19, 24, 25
    Orange = 8
    Red = 8

As they appear in this pic
    [​IMG]

Black = 15
    White = 14
    Red = 5 & 7
    Purple = 12

The numbers not used like 17, 20, 21, 22, 23 seem to be connected to the chip below the large ground wires.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is an image of the two boards showing the size of this supply. Do you think it is a SMPS or is this a more well regulated supply? The dimensions are about 14" x 8"x 8"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THANKS again for the help that was provided!

5. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    That would lead me to believe the 5 Volt SB (Stand By) is working or whatever SB power it uses. For an ATX form factor, as DodgyDave mentioned the Green is PWR_ON and shorting Green to Common starts the PSU. However, I don't know if these use the standard ATX form factor color scheme? Here is what I would try. Plug the unit in as you mention above. Use a DMM to measure voltage and connect the Negative lead to Black (let's hope black is common) and start probing the remaining wires. See if any have a voltage, especially 5 Volts. If only one wire has 5 Volts try momentarily shorting the line to Common. The 5 Volts is likely through a pull up resistor. That is how I would start. Did you try as suggested with the green wire?

Ron