Determining Pinouts for Unknown LCD panels

Absinthe

Joined Aug 20, 2010
Start testing with 1.5V, if no segment is ON, then test with 3V, then 5V... Most probably, your LCD is 3V.
BTW, don't lean so much, you'll fall :D
I like that. However, I hear that brute force is not always a good substitute for finesse, so I am trying to consider doing things the right way instead of just hammering it out :)

I guess someone stole my 'r' :)

Next I can work on learning to type. :)

Absinthe

Joined Aug 20, 2010
Why not. But what ASMV is :confused:
You should read some doc on LCD multiplexing. Microchip and National Semiconductor have some solid & didactical ones. I can never explain better than them and it would spare you a lot of questionning & time.
Cheers.
I will look for the docs on multiplexing. ASMV - astable multi vibrator... sounds dirty but it isn't :)

Figured I could either use a 555 or a couple transistors and a couple RC circuits and get a nice square wave but it would really be pulsed dc rather than a true AC.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Do you have access to a function generator?

If so, you can try sinusoidal, rectangle, square, ac/dc, macaroni and cheese, fish sticks, and all that good stuff.

Sorry, haven't had dinner yet.

Absinthe

Joined Aug 20, 2010
I do not have access to a function generator. I do have a 30 volt AC wall wart so perhaps a little voltage splitting circuit?

Absinthe

Joined Aug 20, 2010
Update on the saga.. I have found a nice document on operating a 4 digit multiplexed lcd from the AVR. Unfortunately, that one uses 4 commons and so each segment pin operated 1/2 of a digit. Nice, that 8 pins will conveniently control all 4 digits.

In my case I have 3 commons, so it takes 3 segment pins to operate each digit. I have 7 digits meaning I need 21 pins, plus the 3 commons for 24 pins total. I assume that means I am using a whole ATMEGA just to drive the LCD. Seems wrong, but we will see if I have enough ports to work with.

In the sample they setup the segment bitmap in an 8 bit variable (output_var) and essentially set PORTC = output_var in one cycle and PORTC = ^ output_var in the next and so forth. That seems very convenient for a sample. However, I am looking at all of PORTC, PORTB and either part of PORTA or some pins from PORTD not already used for the commons.

My gut feeling is that I would be better off using some PCF8574T (i/o port expander)(since I have them laying around) or possibly SN74HC595N (shift register) since I will have some of them soon. I am just not comfortable with the shift to I2C yet, and I assume I have to do that to use either of them. But I could actually use and ATTINY to drive those and not burn up a whole MEGA just to drive an lcd.

I have stated looking at multiplexing, but the stuff I have found seems to be focused more so around inputs rather than outputs but I will keep digging.

This weekend, SWIMBO will be traveling, so let the geekfest commence. I want to see some real numbers before Monday morning!!