Determining copper thickness on PCBs

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I bought some double sided PCB material on ebay that is apparently scraps from a firm in New Hampshire. All of the pieces areabout 3" by 6", are FR4, .060, but the copper seems really heavy. I peeled some off and it measures somewhere between .0065 and .004, depending on where I put the calipers. So, I'm thinking it must be at least 2 oz./sq. ft.

Or am I missing something?

Is there a better way to check the copper thickness?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Cut a piece of copper off the board and measure the difference in height instead of trying to measure the copper after it has been removed from the board and distorted.
I would have thought of that...eventually...maybe. :D

The bare board is .0550; the board with copper on both sides is .0605. Therefore, the copper is .0055 / 2 = .00275 on each side, which I think equates to 2 oz. per sq. ft.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
do it the engineering way - cut a narrow strip, and get resistance (by measuring voltage drop when say 1A or whatever is going through it). knowing length and width of strip, one can get calculate thickness.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I would have thought of that...eventually...maybe. :D

The bare board is .0550; the board with copper on both sides is .0605. Therefore, the copper is .0055 / 2 = .00275 on each side, which I think equates to 2 oz. per sq. ft.
I communicated with the supplier, and he said that my measurements probably were wrong, because when I peeled up the copper, some of the substrate came up with it. He says he is almost certain that what I have is 1 oz.; he is sending some 1/2 oz. for me to try.

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Etch the copper off a small offcut piece.
Measure both the etched & unetched pieces with a Micrometer (A Vernier Caliper is too imprecise).
You should be able to calculate it from there.

Or cut two identical sized sheets,etch one,then weigh them.
Knowing the area of the test sheets,the copper oz/sq ft can be calculated from the difference in mass.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I communicated with the supplier, and he said that my measurements probably were wrong, because when I peeled up the copper, some of the substrate came up with it. He says he is almost certain that what I have is 1 oz.; he is sending some 1/2 oz. for me to try.

Thanks for all the input.