Desulfator mod for single cell 2V

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I looked at 04.jpg. There is no DC charging function at all. I thought you wanted charging in addition to desulfating.

You can remove D1 or D6. One is not needed and wastes power.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
OK, I ran it. I tried a few things, but little improvement.
The way you have your discharge path puts L2 in series with the output. So, I shorted L2 and removed D5 and got a few tenths of an amp more power out. At 12 volts you should be getting around 5 amps out but you are only getting 1.5 amps.

Reality Check
OK, you got it to run on 12 volts but sacrificed most of the output power. 1.5 amp pulses will not desulfate anything.

This is not the right circuit for your application.

rdecode

Joined May 27, 2015
Reducing L1 to 100UH will give us 4amps.

P.S.
Removing D5 is not good idea - Bat (+) is directly connected to the GND, even for very sulfated battery with dropped voltage it is not good.

Attachments

rdecode

Joined May 27, 2015
Please, could somebody download and check the last LTSpice file (444.asc), it gives me 6-7A current on battery cell, however I have used "Circuit Wizard" for simulating the same circuit and it shows different results, about 20-200mA.

Could you please check, if one uses different simulator

Thank you in advance

P.S. L2 (1000uH) removed, L1 reduced from 220uh to 50uH, by LTSpice current rised to 6-7A

Last edited:
Regarding pulse desulfation, a key element to consider is conservation of energy. The chemical reaction in a Lead acid battery requires energy to execute. This must be provided in some form. The average energy input must correlate to the required energy (including losses)to break down the crystalline sulfate into the more reactive phase required for lead acid tech to work.

Also, simulators often use ideal components. Pulse desulfation will take you into non ideal transmission line impedance plus parasitic ringing due to stray capacitance and inductance and so forth. Simulation limits must be understood.

I've spent some time developing a commercially viable desulfation system using proper tooling (CT's, FLIR cams, microprocessor logging, cell level delta temperatures) plus battery re-rating and subsequent live battery application testing. For reasonable results dedendriting must also be performed. At the moment, with battery cooling applied, my approach will turnaround a 45AH SLI battery in about 24 hours or less, no matter its initial condition. Multiple protocols achieve early rejection of hopeless cases. Statistically, 33% of processed batteries return to original service . I process mainly thin plate SLI batteries and I'd expect a higher success rate with purpose built deep cycles like a T105.

I hope to move into a commercial build soon with spin off, smaller DIY kits with the proven tech. for the individual.
The present system delivers up to 300W of power and a 60 (45Ah) battery / month processing rate, which is overkill for the DIY guy with access to just a few batteries. It contains 7000 lines of firmware coding and is optimized to process from 11Ah thru 250Ah @ C/20 batteries, including SLAs and gel cells.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thank you for your opinion, however I do not agree with your statements above, will be waiting for others...

There is LTspice circuit attached above, try yourself and check outputs from 04.jpg
You can choose to disagree with @Lestraveled . Just remember, your disagreement does not change physics.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Ancel, That current sense transformer looks familiar. Did I know you in another life over at the "Lead Acid Desulfator Forum" ?? (tucsonshooter in a previous life)

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
TS has not been here for 31 days. Questionable value answering him today.
Maybe the TS just came here to get some answers and he got it, so he didn't come back again or until he has another question to ask for help, but in this situation that we can't do anything.

I have been checked some internet users that they will post the messages in three or more different forums and as fishing to waiting for which forum can get the answers quickly and then ignored the others.