Desperately seeking Sanik 4.8v 300mah NiCd batteries

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by Mediawelder, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Mediawelder

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Hi all, my first post here. Hello! :)

I have looked for a replacement battery for each of my four portable lamps that I really use a lot. I hate to throw good electronics away - why not repair/service what you like?

The battery is exactly this. But I haven't been able to find any retailer anywhere that can sell it to me. I've looked for years!

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

2. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    use a lithium cell + 5v booster remove the usb socket

3. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Places like House of Batteries will fabricate custom cell packs from standard cells. Its pretty simple - nickel strips are spot welded to the cells to connect them and shrink tubing applied to hold them together. Its been awhile since I've had custom packs manufactured and did not use HofB but they look pretty good. If you call the local sales rep for the brand of cell you are using, they will be able to tell you how/where to get the cells assembled - many times they do it in house - its not that big a deal.

I don't have much use for NiCads these days but back in the day, I had lots of 'bad' packs fixed by replacing bad cells by our local outfit - now defunct, unfortunately.

Consider adding a PTC fuse in the pack to prevent fires from short-circuits. Also, don't try to solder up a pack yourself. The heat from soldering will damage the cell internals.

Good luck.

EDIT: Here's another one. A local hobby shop (RC planes, robots) could probably tell you where to have packs made as well.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  4. Mediawelder

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Thanks a bunch for the help! I''ll look into it. :)

5. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Looks like the emergency exit sign battery...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emergency-L...965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c2eedde5

image.jpg

6. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    @Mediawelder : Let us know if you find a good source for assembling NiCd packs. That would be handy info.