Desoldering tweezer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jpanhalt, Feb 4, 2009.

1. jpanhalt

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Does anyone know whether these desoldering tweezers from MPJA (40W) can simply be powered from a Variac or Variac-stepdown transformer combination?

[​IMG]

Of course, I don't expect feedback temperature control, but the 25W Weller that I used for years didn't have that either.

John

2. jpanhalt

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Bump. Here's a little more information. I couldn't find anything about "typical" connections on the web.

The connector is 5 pin in an arc. The center pin is connected to ground and the metal sleeve on the tips.

Pins 1 and 2 show about 5 ohms when cold, which increases to 8.5 ohms when a heat gun is applied to either tip.

Pins 4 and 5 show about 2 ohms cold and zero mV, but on application of heat to one tip (but not the other), I get a mV reading of up to about 6 mV using hot, but not soldering temperature air from a heat gun.

The tweezers are labeled 48W/24V.

Can I assume pins 1 and 2 are power and the power is 24VAC?

For my purpose, I don't need temp regulation -- at least not right now. The handle on my temperature regulated soldering iron is not connected with a plug, so to test it would require disassembly.

John

3. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    To me it sounds like pins 1 & 2 are power ,prob. either AC or DC at about 3A. I use a Variac with a 110 to 24 V transformer for foam cutting, also gives some V protection.; supose twezer tips are grounded.