Desoldering SIP sockets

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by kevin.khan, Jan 31, 2013.

1. kevin.khan

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Hi there,

I am currently working on a PCB and am in the midst of soldering some of my components onto the board. However I have already made a mistake. I was soldering on some SIP sockets however I failed to inspect my positioning of the sockets. They now soldered in with slight angle, enough such that the component can not fit into the socket properly. I have tried desoldering with a pump and I got most of the solder off, however there is still enough solder that the component is connected. There is not much solder but it is too far in for the desoldering pump to completely remove it.
    I was looking for some advice as to how I could try and fix my mistake.

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Can you show a picture?

3. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Can you get the soldering iron tip in there? If so solder wick will remove the residual solder.

4. kevin.khan

Jul 9, 2012
    I think the spacing is a little too tight to use a solder wick.

5. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    If it is an epoxy board + a long row, the chances to get it out properly are bad. What you can do is to add a little fresh solder + suck out again with the pump, or you can try to create a liquid bridge with a 50W station and pull it out then.

kevin.khan likes this.
  6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    huh? using SIP sockets because you don't have DIP's or something? How would a slight angle on a sip socket matter.

7. kevin.khan

Jul 9, 2012
    I will keep your method in mind next time this happens (hopefully this would be the last it happens though).
    I finally got it free. I had someone apply the soldering iron to the underside while I pulled at the sockets from the top until it was finally freed.

8. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Yep. Desoldering is sometimes a three- or four-handed process.

9. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    When putting headers on a board, a good trick is to use some tape to stick it to the board so it is oriented exactly the way you want it. Then tip the board upside down and back a few times to make sure it will stay in place, then solder.