Desoldering SIP sockets

kevin.khan

Joined Jul 9, 2012
Hi there,

I am currently working on a PCB and am in the midst of soldering some of my components onto the board. However I have already made a mistake. I was soldering on some SIP sockets however I failed to inspect my positioning of the sockets. They now soldered in with slight angle, enough such that the component can not fit into the socket properly. I have tried desoldering with a pump and I got most of the solder off, however there is still enough solder that the component is connected. There is not much solder but it is too far in for the desoldering pump to completely remove it.
I was looking for some advice as to how I could try and fix my mistake.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hi there,

I am currently working on a PCB and am in the midst of soldering some of my components onto the board. However I have already made a mistake. I was soldering on some SIP sockets however I failed to inspect my positioning of the sockets. They now soldered in with slight angle, enough such that the component can not fit into the socket properly. I have tried desoldering with a pump and I got most of the solder off, however there is still enough solder that the component is connected. There is not much solder but it is too far in for the desoldering pump to completely remove it.
Can you show a picture?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Hi there,

If it is an epoxy board + a long row, the chances to get it out properly are bad. What you can do is to add a little fresh solder + suck out again with the pump, or you can try to create a liquid bridge with a 50W station and pull it out then.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
huh? using SIP sockets because you don't have DIP's or something? How would a slight angle on a sip socket matter.

kevin.khan

Joined Jul 9, 2012
I will keep your method in mind next time this happens (hopefully this would be the last it happens though).
I finally got it free. I had someone apply the soldering iron to the underside while I pulled at the sockets from the top until it was finally freed.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I will keep your method in mind next time this happens (hopefully this would be the last it happens though).
I finally got it free. I had someone apply the soldering iron to the underside while I pulled at the sockets from the top until it was finally freed.
Yep. Desoldering is sometimes a three- or four-handed process.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
When putting headers on a board, a good trick is to use some tape to stick it to the board so it is oriented exactly the way you want it. Then tip the board upside down and back a few times to make sure it will stay in place, then solder.